Originally Posted By: MightyDR
Correct me if I'm not remembering it properly, but in Deal With The Devil did it imply that Orena wasn't actually trying to poll the capos or take over the family, but it was all a ruse by Scarpa and Sessa to stir up shit?

If I remember right, Orena made a ruling against Scarpa and Pate, which Sessa did not like. This caused the trio to gather a few other members of the family to cause the headaches for Orena. John Gotti tried to influence Orena to become boss, but Vic refused but still did a big favor for Gotti in killing Ocera. This all happened in the fall of 89'. Orena was loyal to Persico until Persico was in talks about doing a movie or book about his life, then Orena went to talk to the Aloi brothers, Salvatore Profaci, and Cutolo about it and then it was decided for Orena to poll the Capos.

On the Bonanno family, even while Joe Massino issued the family to not get involved with joint family venues, some of the soldiers still did such as Joe Sammartino Snr in New Jersey with both the Genovese and Lucchese families, and William Riviello in Connecticut with both the Gambino and Genovese crime families. Of course this lasted up to the late 1990's, but still shows that some soldiers still did business with the other families.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green