Quote:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
It was being discussed earlier in this thread, and like Capo said, they're both overrated pieces of populist cinema. Almost every elitist moron I've come across loves those 2 movies, and think they're intelligent people because of it.

It infuriates the shit out of me.
I like these movies.
I am an intelligent person having said so.

Actually, I have to agree with Capo by saying it does in a way make fun of the audience, even if it is my favorite movie... However, I'm not sure it we feel that for the same reasons. I feel that it pokes fun at them because in the end, the fans are exactly what the film speaks out against... Consumer's who need to gobble up every bit of merchandise they see. That being said, I also find the film very crafty, and that it even pokes fun at itself (Who remembers the fake Fight Club Catalouge's that were finding their ways around cities back in 1999, as a promotional gag?). Fight Club is just one of those things that you either love or hate. I find members of the baby-boomer generation often find nothing special in the film, I assume because it just doesn't speak to them--or their generation--the same way it speaks to or defines generation X, and even Y.

Others simply don't get it.

In the end, I find Fight Club to be a well acted, written, and shot film. It is humorous, but still manages to get a point across. The end is--in my eyes--beautiful and the characters, dialouge, and other relatives of the film (and book) seem to be transforming into household items more and more lately. It probably has some of the best CGI I have seen in cinema, and the Chuck Palahniuk books are well worth checking out. I feel it is one of the five best films of 1999.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."