The Man With the Golden Arm (1955) Second Viewing
Directed by: Otto Preminger
Rating: ****/****

I finally was able to watch the film in it's restored state with the new 5.1 surround mix, while experimenting with the original mono track as well. I can tell you right now that it's a high quality job. The print isn't perfect, but what is to be expected of a fifty year old film that's been so abused over time? Regardless, this film shines like it never has before.

Needless to say, Sinatra gives a performance for the ages. I know from family the horrors of drug adiction and I understand the subject mater fully and Sinatra alsong with Otto Preminger & Co. were able to get to the root of the problem. Some say this film is dated, that the excesive use of soundstages and backlots hurts it. Really, it doesn't detract a thing from the film. They've also said that the subject matter and the way it's handled is dated. That's just not so. The fact is that although times have changed and as our society tackles new issues, the nature of adiction is the same and regardless of how far our society has come, it still forces people to relapse into crime and addiction.

This is a film that should be seen by all.

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia