Murder, My Sweet (1946) First Viewing
Directed by: Edward Dmytrick
Raiting: ****/****

I just finished watching, "Murder, My Sweet", a film based on Raymond Chandler's classic, "Farewell, My Lovely". This is perhaps the greatest adaptation of a Chandler novel, not completley faithful and yet understanding the essensce of Philip Marlowe, the main charecter and the nature of Private Eye work. I've read the novel as well and consider it equal, if not greater than Chandler's previous work, "The Big Sleep".

I had seen, "The Big Sleep" before hand and convinced myself that Bogart WAS Marlowe but then again I think Marlowe just progected Sam Spade for another run in the 1946 adaptation. Not that that hurts the film in any way...

Here, Dick Powell gives a great performance and understands Marlowe a little more...

Great film technically. Direction is well paced, and cinematography is superb. In fact, the cinematographer on this film was on the Second Unit for Welles's, "The Magnificent Ambersons".

Madness! Madness!
- Major Clipton
The Bridge On The River Kwai

GOLD - GOLD - GOLD - GOLD. Bright and Yellow, Hard and Cold, Molten, Graven, Hammered, Rolled, Hard to Get and Light to Hold; Stolen, Borrowed, Squandered - Doled.
- Greed

Nothing Is Written
Lawrence Of Arabia