Originally Posted By: Ciment
Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
One hypothetical.....

One of the factions that would have benefitted from the Rizzutos being gone WAS THE STREET GANGS.

And what did we see? Montagna using them for pickups....

So they go from just street level drug dealers, to now actually knowing where the extortion payments go, WHO TO EXTORT AND WHAT COMPANIES.
Consider that Montagna doubled the tribute, likely cause he had to give the Gangs a piece. He certainly COULDNT guarantee a better coke price, not better than the Calabrians, or anyone from Rizzutos camp.

And it was the Frenchman who controlled the docks I think.

rians in He probably had the Violis in his corner, so I think they play a major part in all this..... They might be the ones with the connections, not sure.......

The docks in Montreal have been controlled for as far as I can remember by the Irish mafia but they have always had close relations with the Italian mafia. In fact they also do business with other crime groups.
Montagna did recruit people that were loyal to the Bonanno's. He was also clever enough to first seek approval from the Calabrians in Ontario. Where his fatal mistake was betraying Raynald Desjardins the brother-in-law of Joe DiMaulo a Cotroni made man,who has been loyal to the Bonanno's for decades.Had Montagna not made this mistake he might of had a chance to succeed. He also needed the Cotroni's on his side for his plan to work. Montagna had also recruited the Arcuri's also loyal to the Bonanno's.
The question I ask myself is, was Montagna getting bad advice by the Arcuri's who may have had ambition plans of their own and did not want competition from the Cotroni clan.

Agreed.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."