The Elephant Man (1980) - ****
Director: David Lynch
An English doctor brings a physically-deformed John Merrick under his wing
Amazing. My first Lynch movie, and I loved it. The feeling on this one was just so unique. Everything about the way it was acted, shot, written, produced... It just made me feel like I was watching an old movie from the 30s or 40s; and yes, that is a good thing. It helped set the tone to the film. Also, Lynch brings a great message with him, regarding the cruelness of society and about acceptness.

Pink Floyd The Wall (1982) - ***1/2
Director: Alan Parker
A troubled musician looks back on his life as his mental-state deteriorates.
Before I get started, let me say, I am trying my best not to provide any pro-Floyd biasm--and I think I am doing successfully, as I plot out my words in my head. The Wall is my favorite Pink Floyd album, which--for me--beats out Darkside of the Moon by less than a hundreth of a point. The idea to play the album to film is an excellent idea. Parker brings along powerful imagry in which the only means of plot-progression is the brilliant music of Roger Waters. Every shot in this film is an amazing piece of visual art, and is keenly crafted to fit its constant sound-track. The exploration of the main character is well done, a great feat when the fact of it being Roger Water's first attempt at writing a film is brought into consideration. This is a must see for any fans of Pink Floyd, Floydian, or just rock music in general. I highly reccomend it to any movie-buff. This is just a great and highly entertaining film by itself.

-------

There it is. Also, mainly targetted towards DV, who influenced this decision, I will be watching Last Days tonight... I'll try and get a review up within the week.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."