Last Days - ****

I went into this thinking that I knew what to expect. I was dead wrong. I'd been advised by Vercetti not to go into it expecting something in the vain of Ray, so I didn't. It still wasn't what I expected. It was more. Much more.

There was very little dialogue in the film, but it wasn't needed. Blake was by himself most of the time, anyway. He mumbles to himself quite a bit, most of it incoherent. He spends much of his time in the woods around his estate.

Also, there isn't much of a plot. This is a film inspired by the last few days of Kurt Cobain's life. It shows him alone, and the few people he actually does associate with use him to their advantage.

I'm not gonna elaborate any more than I already have, because I believe it will spoil it for those who haven't watched it.

I was deeply moved by the film, saddened, and a bit disturbed. I laughed, cringed, and became somewhat angry at the people around Blake. This film evoked a plethora of emotions from me, something that doesn't happen often. A film that can do that, with very little dialogue, with very little hand-holding (as far as the story goes), is a rare film indeed.

I loved it. I wasn't so sure when it started. I didn't really know what to think. I don't know if all of Van Zant's films are like this, but it's made me curious.

It's pretty hard to recommend this film to just anybody, though. I can't really say "lower your expectations", or to even change your expectations. Just go into it with an open mind, I guess.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis