I just re-watched "Maverick" on tv (I don't own a copy) and had forgotten what a fun movie it is.

Mel Gibson stars as a gambler in the Old West who is set on playing in a $500,000 poker tournament. Jodie Foster plays the lady interest and James Garner (who originally played the title role on the old tv series) plays a marshall who gets involved. All three are very entertaining and they're helped by a very decent supporting cast.

Its a light-hearted story with plenty of laughs including a surprise uncredited appearance by Danny Glover (who as you know has appeared with Gibson in the "Lethal Weapon" series). Glover plays a thief who robs Gibson and its an absolutely hilarious scene as the two of them look at each other as if trying to figure out where they have seen each other before.

Of special note is Graham Greene (who plays a friendly Indian chief). He's becoming one of my favorite character actors today - he's appeared as an Indian in "Dances With Wolves", as one of the NYPD detectives in "Die Hard III" and as one of the prisoners executed in "The Green Mile". He's charming in this movie.

Anyway, if you're in the mood for a funny western (with a good unexpected ending) check this out.