The thread about encounters with wiseguys inspired me to start up this thread . It's purpose is to serve as the place to recount personal experiences with criminals and/or crime in general .

Anyways I grew up in a small central Nebraska town that ( for some reason ) had an above average amount of teenage/twenty something guys involved in criminal activity . They weren't gangsters , but it was common for these guys to work together on a ( more or less ) regular basis due to the fact that they grew up with and trusted each other .

One vivid memory that stands out about these guys was the time some of them robbed a coin and gem store in a nearby county . This was probably the biggest headline worthy crime they pulled off during the time I lived there and I happened to have witnessed one of their members dispose of evidence afterwards .

I happened to be walking along a dirt road near the edge of town , when I saw a truck pull up alongside a ditch and a guy get out . I instantly recognized the fellow as one of my classmates and he proceeded to throw some guns and a few masks into a manhole , after which he promptly drove off .

I already had a fascination for the edgy side of life back then , so I actually got down into the manhole and retrieved the guns and masks .

A few days later the news of the big robbery hit town and I deduced that the fellow must have been part of the group that pulled it off . I got spooked after that and got rid of the guns and the masks and I doubt they have been found since .

My fascination with crime only got strong after that though and I credit that incident with causing me to start researching the world of serious crime .