Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
I don't think it's ceremonial, it's political, and an indication of power in the family...

Like take Scarfo right? He was consigliere, but HE expected Testa to make him underboss. Like he was very miffed by this. So you gotta ask the question, why did Testa make Casella underboss? There had to have been some politics there.

What I suspect is even though he was close to Scarfo, Scarfos crew made the boss nervous. He was a little TOO autonomous, his crew was TOO loyal to HIM specifically. So I suspect Testa used the position in administration to kind of weaken Scarfos power in the family a little bit.

He was TOO powerful NOT to be in the administration. But I don't think Testa wanted him as number two, probably was grooming Salvie for it...
Same deal with Scarfo and Harry. Harry's crew made Scarfo nervous about his own security, as these guys ONLY took their orders from Harry. Funny, I always thought Harry could have, or should have been made consigliere under Scarfo.

I think it's a function of mob politics. Has it ever struck any of you guys funny that Joe Adonis NEVER got an administration position? Like fuck that Pandolfo shit, WHO THE FUCK WAS COSTELLOS CONSIGLIERE? Was it Mike Miranda? Just this alone, I've always suspected Costello and Adonis didn't get along, that Lucky was the thing they had in common.

@ Ted

Spot On there......

Sal Vitale was underboss in name only.
Gotti was an ACTING CAPO, technically, yet he was the natural successor to Dellacroces power, which was good for an administration position, plus he had his own crew to back it up.

The Bonnano old timers made a stink of Bill getting the consigliere spot, I think it definitely carried weight.

Vic Colletti of the Genovese had enough clout to win a sit down with Massino, and he TURNED DOWN a consigliere spot. So I think it STILL carries weight.

Bobby Manna, low key was almost as powerful as Chin it seemed. Same with Tino Fiamara, I think he was consigliere, but was a front runner for boss.

I agree with Ted I think it varies from family to family, and even from administration to administration....

Edit: I know it's just a TV show, but you guys remember the exchange between Tony and Johnny Sack right before the Feds hit?

Tony; " So meet his price, and be done with it....." Johnny; " I don't like it, he gonna want consigliere or who knows what...." Like he didn't want Phil TOO POWERFUL, too legitimate, even though this was his most trusted capo. He needed to be able to CONTROL the guy. He was perfectly willing to give him MONEY, or a piece of another racket, but MORE POWER? This made him a little nervous, just a visual example of the politics in play....

Very interesting thread.... Any more thoughts fellas??

What about John Torrio being the Genovese Consigliere during Frank Costello reign?

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green