Where the Buffalo Roam (1980) - ***
Director: Art Linson
A look into the life of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I enjoyed this one. I don't know; maybe my idoling of Hunter Thompson is causing biasm. But what I saw was a good, informitive film of Dr. Thompson, and even Oscar Acosta (Referred to as Lazlo in the film). Is it as good as Fear and Loathing? No. But it is a nice piece none the less. I felt Bill Murray gave a great performance, and nailed Hunter's voice exactly, although Depp (in Fear and Loathing) was slightly more keen on little observations such as Hunter's mannerisms, and bizarre sounds. A must see for a fan of Gonzo journalism, and reccomended to the casual fan only after seeing 1998's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which would provide a bit more respect.

Hard Eight (Sydney; 1996) - ***1/2
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
John is a nobody, until he meets Nevada high-roller Sydney... But when an unexpected honey-moon goes wrong, will he go back to a nobody?

I finally managed to see this... And god damn, it was great. PT Anderson is perhaps my favorite director of the new generation, and he never fails to bring in the goods. For a first feature-film, this was a mighty triumph. As always, he squeezes great performances out of his actors, provides and entertaining and fast-paced story, and some great dialouge and visuals. Go out and see it; No, go out and see all four of his films if you haven't already done so.

Trainspotting (1996) - ***1/2
Director: Danny Boyle
A group of friends expirience the Scottish heroin scene.

Very well constructed film. The acting was very well executed in almost all scenerios, and the visuals were great. The first shot of the movie, a fast paced on-foot chase accompanied by a bouncy pop-rock song, absolutely pulls you in, before introducing you to an interesting lot of characters... I could go on, but I've had enough of typing for now.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."