Originally Posted By: dsd
I can't remember but in the devito/ Nicholson HOFFA biopic who did the film say was behind the disappearance / murder?

If memory serves me,the final scenes are Hoffa pulling away from the restaurant. This scenario seems to be the truth according to all versions I've read.

Tony Pro and/or some Detroit guy called Giacolone (??) being responsible was the version i first read.

But what did the Hoffa film say?

Haven't seen the movie in 20 odd years but it was a goodish film, had to watch it a couple of times to appreciate it though

The character who goes by "D' Allesandro" (Armand Assante) is based on both "Tony Pro" Provenzano, the Jersey Genovese Teamster boss, and Anthony Giacalone of Detroit.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea