Bonnanos power didn't come from no protection from Lucky, it's very likely Bonnano went along with the murder of Maranzano. Only question is before or after the fact.... I lean towards after, being that Lucky used Luchesse to set him up, and Bonnano always seemed sore at Luchesse because of this....

I've said before Bonnanos power came from the fact he was La Marese. That's what his soldiers loyalty was based on. I've described it as a kinda criminal form of nationalism, where as Masserias people followed him out of fear, but also
because they operated in territory he controlled. So it was mostly a business arrangement, ( look at Luciano, he wasn't LOYAL to Masseria, he had to pledge fealty cause Masseria was stronger, but I think even that was strategic, he didn't hesitate to set him up when a better deal came along, he and Lansky probably killed Rothstein as well, again just business...) not REAL loyalty based off a shared history, or family, also Bonnano came from mafia anyway. PLUS, people tend to forget, he made his bones in the war, he was respected in the streets.

For all his cunning and business acumen, people forget often, Lucky was more like a Torrio than a Capone or a Bonnano. Bonnano didn't HAVE to stop the war, he coulda kept it going, and the La Marese woulda backed him. Don't be naive and think they woulda automatically won a war with him, he was BETTER at fighting wars than them. Same with Profaci, same type of guy......

Remember, Masseria had Lucky, all his guys, and ALL HIS OWN GUYS, Plus Rienas outfit with Luchesse in it, and they were STILL losing badly from what I've read, versus a Sicilian upstart and his mob from primarily
Castellamare..

I always like this contrast... Bonnano described Maranzano as a guy comfortable sitting in a room of silence, cleaning rifles, with ammunition strapped to his body ready to go out and kill at a moments notice.

Okay contrast this with Luciano with the suits, the fine living, the women, FUCKIN WALDORF ASTORIA!!

This guy will ALWAYS need cunning to win a fight. Lucky was Tywin, Bonnano was a Robert, I hope you get the reference...

Last edited by CabriniGreen; 08/09/17 12:28 PM.