Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
Attention film fans, Welles' Touch of Evil is playing at 4 PM today on TCM.

After that Sunset Boulevard will be played at 6 PM.
I missed the Brando marathon... I'm not missing this.

----
K-Pax (2001) ***1/3
Director: Iain Softley
A mysterious mental patient shows up in a Manhattan mental facility, claiming to be from a far away planet.

Interestingly done. Without spoiling the end, Softley manages to put this film together allowing the viewer to make up their own conclusion. Kevin Spacey plays Prot, a mental patient under the impression that he is from another planet, who manages to supply convincing evidence to his peers. Jeff Bridges plays Prot's phsyciatrist, slowly falling under the belief of Prot, but always looking for an alternate explanation. Together the two work great together on screen. The script, cast, visuals, every aspect of the film is great.

L.A. Confidential (1997) ****
Director: Curtis Hanson
Several cases lead by seperate members of the Los Angeles Police force seem to weave together.

This is the modern day revival of classic film-noir that Sin City tried for (in which Sin City was very successful at, may I say). Set in a 1953 L.A., Kevin Spacey plays a Hollywood-suave detective who works as a consultant on a hot polic-drama and excepts payouts from local news-paper head (Danny DeVito) in order to provide him with great headlines. Guy Pearce plays a rookie and straight cop, a rarity on the LAPD. Russell Crowe plays a hater of women-beaters and hot-head (what an amazing range he has :p ). Together, they bring this brilliant police drama to life. With the few films I can think off of the top of my head that debuted in 1997, this is by far one of the best. The characters are wonderful, the story is beautifully constructed, and the performances are gem's. Any fan of film in general--as well as film-noir and those involved in the film--should put this atop of their list.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."