Yesterday I watched six films. The first three I started at midnight and watched back-to-back-to-back; the other three I watched during the course of the day...

The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring *** (3rd time)
2001, Jackson NZ/US
Frodo Baggins, a hobbit from the Shire, must journey across Middle Earth with the help of an elite set of creatures to destroy an evil ring.
A terrific epic of a movie that fantastically ignites Tolkein's work into a whole believable world, with rich use of CGI and a compelling narrative.

The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers *** (2nd time)
2002, Jackson NZ/US
The Fellowship splits up to go its separate ways in order to give Frodo and Sam the best chance at destroying the ring.
The narrative is more segmented, and a mammoth battle substitutes for the smaller set-pieces of the first, but the directing is energetic enough to create the perfect atmosphere of a world in peril.

The Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King *** (2nd time)
2003, Jackson NZ/US/Ger
As Frodo and Sam continue their increasingly perilous mission along with Gollum, Aragorn realises he must take his position as king.
Fantastically suitable and satisfactory ending, with dazzling special effects and masterful set-pieces making the experience as sprawling as any other epic before it. Direction, photography, costumes and sheer production scale totally transcend the genre.

Dear Wendy *** (1st time; big screen)
2005, Vinterberg, Den/Fr/Ger/GB
In a small American mining town, teens find comfort in old firearms, and form a Pacifist cult.
A serious film told with deliberate, matter-of-fact silliness; it is an indictment of guns in society, using America as the epitome of such cultures, and gains considerable, and surprising weight from its young cast.
My film of 2005, so far!

Brighton Rock *** (1st time)
1947, Boulting, GB
A vicious teen racetrack gangster marries the only witness to a crime he committed, in order to shut her up.
Wonderfully done, atmospheric thriller with moments of nastiness, and a clever final moment which was demanded by the studio when the original was deemed too dark.

His Girl Friday *** (1st time)
1940, Hawks, US
A newspaper editor tries to win back his ex-wife, who is re-marrying in twenty four hours, and get the new hottest story in town.
Fast-playing stage play adapted to the screen with wonderful wit and acting to match; the final half hour is a delight.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?