I think I saw a movie today, I mean I have a ticket stub that says I did but it doesn’t feel like it. The stub says The Skeleton Key so I reckon I saw it, but when I think back nothing jumps out at me…
I remember going to the theater arriving almost at the start time (I remember that because I LIKE to arrive early to get a preferred seat), then I had to wait for my stepbrother to buy nachos and a coke that as well I can recall with clarity. We got bad seats because all the best ones were taken, I saw some previews (Saw II, King Kong, and Stay) the theater darkened…then it is kind of a blur. I remember thinking that Kate Hudson should be up higher on my list, there was this one really bad shot with an entirely overstressed angle but other than that…
The Skeleton Key is worse than “white-bread” cinema (read: generic) it is like placebo cinema. It goes beyond astonishing mediocrity and into a realm that I believe that I have never seen. This film managed to not excel in any aspect. The parts of the movie separate from each other don’t seem that bad. The setting a superstitious magic filled bayou in Louisiana it not a bad setting, or the vengeful sprits of slaves not that bad of an antagonist. I thought the character of the protagonist had some potential, especially with Hudson playing her but when it was all added together the product was less than the sum of it’s parts. Not that it was that horrible either, I mean even a movie like House of the Dead leaves an impression – even if it is that there is an impending apocalypse. The only thing that left any impression on me was Kate Hudson and as I’ve already mentioned it was only for very superficial reasons. I can’t even think of enough to give it a rating….it did not offend or impress. ?

--------------------------------------
This signature has been sanatized for your protection - The Staff