Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
***NOT A REVIEW OF THE WEEK NOMINEE***

Kung Fu Hustle

As most know I've been into Asian movies since the release of the Kill Bill movies. The previews for this movie didn't do anything for me even though I had heard some good things about it. I believe this is the first "Asian comedy" I've seen and I did enjoy it. The camera work (such as pan shots and certain sequences that were zoomed in) were nicely used. I also like the time period the movie was in (I'm guessing early 20th century. Possibly the 20s or 30s?). The main bad guy did a good job as well but the major flaw that I had with it was the overuse of CGI! Wow, Don Vercetti and I actually agree on something (that too much CGI can ruin a movie) and I think this is the best example I could find. I don't think the comic book movies overuse it but this seemed to. Other than The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I think this is the movie with the most CGI in it that I've ever seen
The more Asian movie that you’ll watch you’ll start to notice something, they don’t care about CGI the way we do. In America it is all about how seamless can you make it how “real” can you get it to look. Whereas in Asian movies they just seem more interested in just getting a visual representation on the screen. I can’t even count how many HK or Japanese movies I’ve seen with what would be considered horrible CGI over here, it is like they don’t care. I just chalk it up to cultural differences, their films aren’t always trying to say or do the same things that you’re used to American films doing. Plus I think that it really adds to the fell of a number of films like So Close and Kung Fu Hustle where if you find yourself concerned about the look of the CGI you are really not feeling the movie like it was intended.

--------------------------------------
This signature has been sanatized for your protection - The Staff