I was also thinking: if Maranzano hadn't made such a long list of people to be eliminated, maybe he would have succeeded? Because he put there all those younger "upstarts" who helped him to win against Masseria (starting with Lucky Luciano etc), then also Dutch Schultz and even Al Capone were in the list (correct me please if this isn't reliable information, as I don't remember right at the moment the link to the article that said so). So, with so many people targeted, no wonder at least somebody had a "mole" in Maranzano's ranks and fed the information to his friend, and the "friend" in question told everybody else on the list, making them all temporary allies against a common enemy (Maranzano). The longer the list, the bigger the possibility that at least 1, or 2, or 3 etc of the targets will have a friend among his allies and will leak out the plans to one of the targets, and that one will tell others. What I mean, if Maranzano wanted to kill just 2 or 3 most "charismatic" characters who he feared could try to overthrow him, like for example Luciano, Genovese and Costello, maybe there would be less chance that the plans wouldn't be leaked out and the hits would go down as planned. Instead, by planning a "big purge" aimed to kill so many gangsters at the same time, Maranzano took a very improbable chance to succeed imo...What do you think about the theory, could this be the case?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."