GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DanteMoltisanti, TommyIrish, 1 invisible), 397 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,462
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,945
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 319 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91297
07/26/05 07:58 AM
07/26/05 07:58 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Ran **** (Top 60) (2nd time)
1985, Kurosawa, Jap/Fr
Betrayed and exiled by two of his sons, an old clan head seeks redemption from his third son, who he wrongly accused of greed when on the throne.
Haunting and brutal, an epic brilliantly made by a director who, after all those years, proved to still be the master at 75. He camera hardly moves, and many of the images seem at first to be stills. The whole thing is extraordinary viewing.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91298
07/26/05 07:34 PM
07/26/05 07:34 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

The Public Enemy - (William A. Wellman;1931;USA) - ****
Tom Powers rises from being a young punk to a bootlegging gangster.
Although some of the characters seem to be forgotten about, and there are some dragging scenes, this is, like Little Caesar, one of the most influential gangster films ever. The rain scene towards the end is pure classic, and sports a great line to end it, and as Mike said, sum the movie up. "I ain't so tough..." Cagney is pretty good in this role, although his best was yet to come.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91299
07/26/05 07:40 PM
07/26/05 07:40 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Burton; 2005)
A young impoverished boy is wins a tour of the bizarre Willy Wonka's chocolate and sweets factory.

I liked this far better than the original. Tim Burton brought his interesting flavor to the table, and deffinately made it a better expirience. This is, by far, the most entertainment I've ever gotten out of a child geared film.
***1/2 out of *****

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91300
07/26/05 07:43 PM
07/26/05 07:43 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
I just watched Kill Bill Vol. 1. I had to see what all the hype was. My daughter has both movies, so I hope Vol. 2 answers alot of questions. This was the weirdest and grossest movies I think I've ever seen. I still don't understand it all. Time will tell if Vol. 2 fills in the gaps I guess.
Kill Bill Vol. 2 will make it all worth while. To tell the truth, I didn't like Kill Bill Vol. 1 at all until I saw Vol. 2

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91301
07/26/05 07:45 PM
07/26/05 07:45 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

UGH, I can either see War of the Worlds or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tomorrow. I can't pick. :p

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91302
07/26/05 09:39 PM
07/26/05 09:39 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Dark Water

I had been wanting to see this for a little while in the theater. I wasn't expecting much from this movie and I'm safe to say I got nothing much from this movie. Pretty lame, predictable "suspense" (not horror) movie. Another Japanese movie that fails miserably in its American adaptation (a la The Grudge). Unfortunately, even Jennifer Connelly couldn't save this movie although she was good in it.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91303
07/26/05 09:47 PM
07/26/05 09:47 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Yes DARK WATER looks lame. Really, why can't American horror movies be disturbing yet unique anymore?

Stanley Kubrick's BARRY LYNDON - ****1/2 out of 5

Cited by many as among the most beautiful motion pictures ever, which I have to agree. A really good underrated Kubrick picture(there is such a thing?!?) that was a big bomb back in 1975 but now is considered by many as a great movie. Recently named on TIME's Top 100 Movies list.

Other future RRA's VIDEO BIN REVIEW subjects:

Michael Cimino's YEAR OF THE DRAGON
Brian DePalma's OBSESSION
COP LAND
Oliver Stone's NIXON

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91304
07/26/05 09:49 PM
07/26/05 09:49 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Better yet, how about a horror movie that doesn't have a kid as the villain?

OMG THE LIL GERL IZ GUNA KIL ME KUZ HER FAMLY HERT HER@!1!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91305
07/27/05 12:12 AM
07/27/05 12:12 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
UGH, I can either see War of the Worlds or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tomorrow. I can't pick. :p
They're both about the same. Nothing too special, but entertaining none the less.

However, unless you enjoy ditzy 13 year old girls laughing at the stupidest of jokes, and annoying little 12 year olds repeating every single line, I'd go with War of the Worlds.

Either way don't expect to be blown away. Expect an average, but entertaining film.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91306
07/27/05 12:49 AM
07/27/05 12:49 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
*************WAR OF THE WORLDS SPOILER ALERT************

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DIDN'T SEE WAR OF THE WORLDS

I saw it. A suspensful movie throughout and then it's like you hit a brick wall at the end of the movie. Suspensful movie that keeps you interested and then very ANTI-CLIMACTIC ending. Very dissapointed in the way that it just ends.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91307
07/27/05 12:54 AM
07/27/05 12:54 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
*SPOILER*

I saw it too DC. I did like it. The special affects were great and it was very suspensful. I agree with you about the ending, and didn't "get" the bird thing (they didn't make it clear IMO). I expected it to end differently.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91308
07/27/05 01:36 AM
07/27/05 01:36 AM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
*************WAR OF THE WORLDS SPOILER ALERT************

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DIDN'T SEE WAR OF THE WORLDS

I saw it. A suspensful movie throughout and then it's like you hit a brick wall at the end of the movie. Suspensful movie that keeps you interested and then very ANTI-CLIMACTIC ending. Very dissapointed in the way that it just ends.

Don Cardi
Yea I didnt love the ending either. But I was pretty much the last of my friends to see this movie, and they told me the ending was horrible, so basically I went in thinking the end was gonna be pure dog shit. I didnt think it was quite that bad so I wasnt disappointed.

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91309
07/27/05 09:03 AM
07/27/05 09:03 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I enjoyed War of the Worlds and will be purchasing it on DVD, but I agree with everybody that the ending was confusing. Hopefully if there's commentary they might "explain" better what they meant to get across

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91310
07/27/05 09:18 AM
07/27/05 09:18 AM
Underboss
Underboss
The thing you have the remember about War of the Worlds, is the time the book was written, abrupt endings like that were acceptable. However, that in mind, I still say the movie was average. Entertaining, but average.

I heard they wanted to make the film three hours long, but it was cut down to one hour, fifty minutes. I suppose that may have done something to the overall quality.

Oh, and TIS, as far as the bird thing goes...

***SPOILER****

The tripods were not immune to Earth's diseases. It wasn't neccisarily the birds that killed them off, but more so they germs they held.

***END SPOILER***

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91311
07/27/05 09:22 AM
07/27/05 09:22 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
I heard they wanted to make the film three hours long, but it was cut down to one hour, fifty minutes. I suppose that may have done something to the overall quality.
If they were gonna stay with the same ending than I'm glad they stuck to the hour and 50 minute movie as opposed to 3 hours because I would have been even more pissed after waiting that long for something to happen

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91312
07/27/05 01:35 PM
07/27/05 01:35 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - (Tim Burton;2005;USA) - ***1/2
A poor boy wins one of the five golden tickets to enter Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory.
Burton has done the book justice. His visuals give this film a wonderful look. Depp's performance is good, although he has done better, and Highmore does even better then his role in Finding Neverland. If anyone sees this comparing it to the older adaptation, they aren't seeing this the right way. It's different, some ways better and some ways lesser, but it all turns out great in it's own right. I like that Dahl's original lyrics were used in the musical scenes, although the television one was poor. Overall, this is a great fantasy film, done wonderfully by Burton, especially the candy room. It's only problem is being over the top in several instances.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91313
07/28/05 01:00 AM
07/28/05 01:00 AM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago

Just got done watching this movie. It's horrible! It's drawn out, nothing happens, and no happy ending. No cinematic climax; nothing. Don't waste your time.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91314
07/28/05 05:45 AM
07/28/05 05:45 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:

SPOILER MATERIAL ----------------- SPOILER MATERIAL ----------------

The bird thing was meant to simply show that the tripods' shields had gone down and the birds were able to get close to the machines.

I, too, found the movie to be suspenseful but wasn't overly impressed by it. It lacked focus and spread itself too thin. The movie could have done without the Tim Robbins scene (which was based on a scene from the original '53 movie). Did y'all notice Gene Barry (from the original) in this remake?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91315
07/28/05 07:55 AM
07/28/05 07:55 AM
England
Raymondo Corleone Offline
Capo
Raymondo Corleone  Offline
Capo
England
Quote:

***SPOILER****

The tripods were not immune to Earth's diseases. It wasn't neccisarily the birds that killed them off, but more so they germs they held.

***END SPOILER*** [/QB]
The birds had nothing to with that, the only significance of the birds is that they landed on one of the tripods i.e. the army could see that the forcefield wasn't working properly, and so were able to take it down.

"Just When I Thought I Was Out - They Pulled Me Back In....."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91316
07/28/05 09:19 AM
07/28/05 09:19 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[quote]Originally posted by long_lost_corleone:
[b]Oh, and TIS, as far as the bird thing goes...

SPOILER MATERIAL ----------------- SPOILER MATERIAL ----------------

The bird thing was meant to simply show that the tripods' shields had gone down and the birds were able to get close to the machines.

I, too, found the movie to be suspenseful but wasn't overly impressed by it. It lacked focus and spread itself too thin. The movie could have done without the Tim Robbins scene (which was based on a scene from the original '53 movie). Did y'all notice Gene Barry (from the original) in this remake? [/b][/quote]SC,

Gene Barry of "Bat Masterson" fame???? Which role did he play?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91317
07/28/05 09:20 AM
07/28/05 09:20 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Bringing Up Baby *** (1st Time)
1938, Hawks, US
A zoologist meets a zany girl who loses his dinosaur bone, causes him to miss his own wedding, and introduces him to a tame leopard.
Delightful, fast, riotous comedy with one gag after another. Not all of them hit, but there're enough to go round.

Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91318
07/28/05 10:13 AM
07/28/05 10:13 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b]Bringing Up Baby *** (1st Time)
1938, Hawks, US
A zoologist meets a zany girl who loses his dinosaur bone, causes him to miss his own wedding, and introduces him to a tame leopard.
Delightful, fast, riotous comedy with one gag after another. Not all of them hit, but there're enough to go round.

Mick [/b]
I watched that for the first time myself about a month ago. I wasn't impressed with it that much but again I don't like the "screwball" comedy

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91319
07/28/05 10:20 AM
07/28/05 10:20 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
[b]Bringing Up Baby *** (1st Time)
1938, Hawks, US

Mick [/b]
I ADORE THAT MOVIE!!!!!! :-)))

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91320
07/28/05 10:23 AM
07/28/05 10:23 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I wasn't impressed with it that much but again I don't like the "screwball" comedy

That's what you get when you watch too many Henry Potters......

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91321
07/28/05 10:27 AM
07/28/05 10:27 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[quote]Originally posted by Irishman12:
[b] I wasn't impressed with it that much but again I don't like the "screwball" comedy

That's what you get when you watch too many Henry Potters...... [/b][/quote]No, you can ask anybody. I laugh at any and everything for the longest time, but screwball comedy is just not something that's funny to me. It's too childish and predictable from the screwball comedy I've seen

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91322
07/28/05 09:42 PM
07/28/05 09:42 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

First Blood - (Ted Kotcheff;1982;USA) - ***
A mentally unstable Green Beret drifter retreats into the wilderness after being harassed by small-town cops.
A pretty good and solid film. It works as an action film without being too gratuitous, and works as a drama/thriller to an extent. This is probably Stallone's only good movie from the 80's. The music is good, and the cinematography is great. The original ending would've been better.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91323
07/28/05 10:02 PM
07/28/05 10:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
City Lights #76 on the AFI Top 100 List

This movie I actually kinda liked, mainly due to the fact that I thought it was gonna be 3 hours and it was only a little over 1 hour. The movie ended kind of abruptly but I did kinda enjoy now looking back. It actually had some funny parts too

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91324
07/29/05 06:04 AM
07/29/05 06:04 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
[b] First Blood - (Ted Kotcheff;1982;USA) - ***
A mentally unstable Green Beret drifter retreats into the wilderness after being harassed by small-town cops.
A pretty good and solid film. It works as an action film without being too gratuitous, and works as a drama/thriller to an extent. This is probably Stallone's only good movie from the 80's. The music is good, and the cinematography is great. The original ending would've been better.
#26 [/b]
What was the original ending?

I actually remember loving the ending more than the rest of the movie - maybe because thats where Rambo is really speaking. The best part of the movie begins when he say :

"Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off"

Thats where hes starting to open up - to me, this last scene has more power than all the bullets and explosions in the movie.

----
----

I just saw "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999)

Jim Jarmusch who also directed "Dead Man" delivers another interesting movie. I say "interesting" because both Dead Man and Ghost Dog are not among my favs, but they were interesting movies to watch - I do want to see more from Jarmusch.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91325
07/29/05 06:16 AM
07/29/05 06:16 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Just finished watching Ocean's 11 ( remake ) for probably the tenth time. Imagine, $13Million each. Not a big George Clooney fan, but I must say, the verbal exchanges between he and Brad Pitt were excellent.

Don Cardi
Yeah the remake is nice, and Garcia's parts are the best.
Have u seen the original with the Rat Pack?
Sinatra, Martin and the rest are truly great in this one-I like it much more than the remake. The different ending is top notch.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion #91326
07/29/05 06:30 AM
07/29/05 06:30 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Gene Barry of "Bat Masterson" fame???? Which role did he play?
Yep, that Gene Barry. He was the star of the original "War of the Worlds" (1953), and in this new version he played the kids' grandfather.

Page 51 of 319 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull