Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I had high hopes this movie would be good from all the reviews I had heard about and read. Unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype IMO. I didn't hate it (so DV was wrong) :p but it wasn't great either. As a movie by itself it was good and fun for the family. However, when you compare it to the original it's nothing more than an unnecessary 2005 version of a classic that didn't need a remake, no matter how much closer to the book it is than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I love Depp and was excited to see his performance but I was disappointed in it as well with his little 'laugh' and his comments that lacked any sort of real nastiness on his part. Don't even get me started on the Oompa Loompa's. That was the worst part of the movie IMO and dreaded seeing them on screen. The only songs in the movie was when they were on screen but they were horrible! I'm surprised they weren't just remix songs of Brittany Spears or the Backstreet Boys. If they release this DVD in a 2-pack with Wonka I'll purchase it but I probably won't purchase just this movie by itself.