Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
What was wrong with In the Cut? I think it was an entertaining horror/thriller.
I think Meg Ryan was totally miscast as the frustrated sex-obsessed teacher in this pretentious noir. As I wrote before, I understand an actress may need to change the kind of movies she plays in and possibly Meg wanted to show us a darker side of her talent. But she got those bright bleu eyes, that light face, that sunny smile...I don't know...I felt she (not unlike we, the public) was not at ease in those turbid, ambiguously perverted atmospheres. The film itself is of course well directed by the Oscar winner Jane Campion, but the plot is far from being original. Predictable and "already seen-like", it left me as cool as a cucumber. Where was the thriller?
I do hope Meg will soon come back to a romantic comedy movie. I understand she is not 30 anymore, but who cares when she enlightens the whole screen with that smile? Leave oral sex scenes to other actresses, you don't need to prove anything, Meg.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)