For sure sure Bonnano was underrated; He saw what happened when Luchesse and Gambino took the opening provided by Profacis heavy-handedness, he pretty much pushed the Gallos into warring against him. Or to put it a better way, he GAVE Carlo and Tommy the ammunition they needed to forment a rebellion from within.

(Interestingly, though, according to an old Time magazine article, Carlo was JUST AS GREEDY, with the same monthly dues thing Profaci was doing..)

So Bonnano forbids any of his capos from meeting with the Commision. So no chance of intrigue amongst his Capos. A smart move, and the right one, Chin was right, Capos shouldn't be meeting with bosses anyway.

Plus, the Mary Ferrel documents show plain as day that Bonnano didn't defy any Commision edicts, that was manipulation by Luchesse and Gambino.

It also shows how they manipulated Jerry Catena ( although I think he was a willing participant..) by telling him to ONLY discuss Commision business with other Commision members. So as to keep old foxes like Mike Miranda at bay, outside the decision making body of LCN as a whole. So you can clearly SEE the hippocracy there.

I've also always been of the opinion that those Sicilians were loyal to Joe Bonnano and Galante, not so much the " Bonnano Family". Like to the Sicilians, I think the Bonnano family meant the La Marese gangsters, not so much the American made guys. After that, they were loyal to money, and their principal money maker, since the sixties was and is narcotics. So ultimately, they are going to be loyal to whomever is the best facillitator of the narcotics trade, be it supply, import, distribution, laundering, transport, ect....

Basically, I think the Sicilians were loyal to the " Territory" the Bonnanos controlled, as they could move drugs in it, beyond that, there was no real need to even interact it seems, I could be wrong though...

(I don't think much has changed, I think the same dynamic is there today with the Calabrians, they just wanna move coke, NY is only a means of getting coke from point A to point B, they aren't going to war over a union or a sports book, or any other local rackets..)

Last edited by CabriniGreen; 02/18/17 06:23 AM.