I know retail sales have always been there, but moving large loads to the US market is what makes the cartels the CARTELS. If they coulda became what they did without ever leaving Mexico, they never would have. The US market wouldn't be so important. Hell, guys like Escobar and Chapo would NEVER fear extradition, as there would be no need. This is why I knew there was something going on with Sinaloa with the retail operations in NY. It's a sign of desperation, kinda if you think about it.

Retail drug sales on the streets, in the US has got to be the most risky link in the drug supply chain. Why is the organization with the capacity to REFINE, and ship coke all around the world bothering with this? Why would they need the revenue so bad? And why set up shop all the way in the US, ALL THE WAY IN NY, not LA, when there is a local market in Mexico? Or Brazil, the worlds third largest cocaine market? Or the emerging market inArgentina, ( Hint, lots of Italians there) And why only heroin, and not cocaine? ( Another hint, they CONTROL heroin production in Sinaloa state, also fentanyl...) Hell, frankly, I don't know why not Chicago, it's the main distribution hub, with a huge Hispanic gang population. (. The Buffalo operation had mostly black distributors..) But the situation in the street is more intense than NY, I'm guessing....

It's interesting that they set up shop in NY, and then we hear about them having difficulties controlling the local markets/plazas.

I'm not certain enough to completely disagree, but I do think the Italians in general are VERY entrenched in South America. See this is why the BORDER is so important to the cartels, cause they NEED the American market. It's also the foundation of their leverage with Colombia, their power. The Italians have been in the international game for a long time. Salvatore Mancuso was a LEADER of a Colombian paramilitary group, and he was Calabrian. Strax posted a map that showed all the Italian families inSouth America. It was QUITE EXTENSIVE. They have a been there since the 70s at least.

But I do think you are right that it's the Colombians directing the European traffic. It's just TOO MUCH COKE. You would have to be the producer to be able to LOSE so much coke and still be in operation. But I do think the Calabrians DO control SOME routes, maybe not ALL of em. Also, they seem to be the most TRUSTED of all the criminal groups. Ive read that's they don't need to put down deposits for loads of coke, that this leverage is how they inserted themselves into the dominant position in Europe for distribution, ( as opposed to the Mexicans PHYSICALLY controlling the land border..)as there are many crime groups in Europe.

Smeary, what cartel do you think it was that was allied with the " Mom n Pop" gang in NY? The one based outta Costa Rica? Would that be New Jalisco? Or some remnant of the Zetas? Or Sinaloa?

Why haven't the cartels made a move into the Canadian market, or have they?

Last edited by CabriniGreen; 02/13/17 03:23 AM.