Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
"The Hustler".

You're not old enough to remember Jackie Gleason from his television years ("The Honeymooners" and "The Jackie Gleason Show") but he was a real comic actor. I'm always blown away by his portrayal here as a seriouis actor.

SC, when you make that statement about being blown away when Gleason portrays a serious role, two of his roles come to the forefront of my mind :

Gigot : "A poignant comedy about a mute who befriends Nicole, the little daughter of a prostitute. Gleason shows his considerable talents as an actor without uttering a sound as he plays the bumbling, kind-hearted janitor, Gigot. Gleason wrote the original story and music for this film." His protrayal of a mute throughout that movie is just superb! He never utters one word in the movie, but yet he makes you feel exactly the way that he is feeling in many scenes. Especially the scene where he lets out the "scream!"

Soldier In The Rain : "Gleason and McQueen - tremendous together in one marvellous motion picture!"

One of Gleason's Comedic roles that I've always felt did NOT get the recognition it deserved was in "Papas Delicate Condition." Gleason is both Comedic and Seriously Sentimental in that role.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.