As I said (probably on Page 2) when I last reviewed a film, don't expect me to be as articulate as Capo...

Closer (2004) [DVD]

Wow, I love Natalie Portman . Wow, she was really.... Oh, yeah, the movie - well - I enjoyed it. For a while it was a bit confusing to me, because I thought they were breaking the golden rule of time reference. (There was none). I supposed they were going for the Memento (2000) / Pulp Fiction (1994) time change thing - but the former pull it off much better than this film did. (If I thought it was "wrong," then my instincts were probably correct.) Later, once I realized what was going on, it was a little more digestable - but not quite totally forgivable.

(And before you yell at me about it, Memento and Pulp Fiction used it as a device. It never seemed wrong; in fact, it was cool, and part of the point of the movie. In Closer, I didn't feel it was any such thing but a bit distracting. There's a better way to indicate that it's 5 years later besides someone saying "that was 5 years ago" after a hard cut. Try a fade next time, or something subtle.)

But all in all, I really like the dialogue - and I'm not sure why. It was to-the-point, biting, and totally honest, even when they were lying. Normally I wouldn't like that so much, because it's not necessarily "normal", but it worked here well, I think. It gave it a distinct feel, which I liked. It wasn't as physically emotional as many other movies would be.

This is definitely something to see at least twice to get the full storyline. At least for a dumbass like me! You also wanna see it again to see more of Natalie Portman.

Recommended.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations