Ebert gave Be Cool one and a half stars. I'm not surprised, is there a good movie that features The Rock in it?
---
Annie Hall - (Allen;1977;USA) - ****
A neurotic comedian falls in love with a woman named Annie Hall who's the complete opposite.
Woody Allen is a great director, especially when it comes to dialogue and funny situations. While this film shows a completely real relationship it manages to blend it with hilarious moments binded with excellent dialogue. I hate romantic comedies for what they have become today but this is a gem of the sub-genre and is probably the best to come from it. This film never gets old when it comes to seeing it again. It's so great that most people don't realize that virtually all of it is scenes with few cuts with all talk with no major action. That makes a film great.

Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror - (Murnau;1922;Germany) - ****
Count Orlok, who is secretly the vampire Nosferatu, purchases a house in Germany to continue his bloodsucking carnage.
Nosferatu is the greatest vampire. No one can forget the chilling shadow creeping up the stairs, or that sinister creature walking through the door. Although corny acting is in this film, Max Schreck's performance more then makes up for it. Many overlook the beautiful cinematography of the castles, landscape, etc. This is no sex symbol either, this is truly a rat-faced, bat-eared creation from nightmares. A horror classic that is a must-see.

The Sign of the Cross - (DeMille;1932;USA) - ***1/2
Nero burns Rome and uses the Christian community as a scapegoat so he can eradicate them, meanwhile a Roman soldier falls in love with a Christian woman.
Truly a great film about the sadistic Nero and his persecutions. Although dated with effects, the arena scene remains disturbing. This film's depiction of the power of faith is one of my favorite things about it. There are several good performances, most notably Charles Laughton as the sadistic emperor. A great epic.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006