GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CabriniGreen), 434 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,903
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891509
08/21/16 06:48 PM
08/21/16 06:48 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
Yes, drone strikes

The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.
Walter Sobchak: You mean... beyond pacifism?

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: thedudeabides87] #891511
08/21/16 06:51 PM
08/21/16 06:51 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87
Yes, drone strikes

lot of innocent people killed in drone strikes......

that's what I hate about war! its always the innocent, and women and orphans that suffer most.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #891514
08/21/16 07:04 PM
08/21/16 07:04 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
Yes, drone strikes

that's what I hate about war! its always the innocent, and women and orphans that suffer most.

But George W. Bush is responsible, right Binnie? Bush and Cheney secretly made Obama order all those drone strikes.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891515
08/21/16 07:27 PM
08/21/16 07:27 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
I enjoy almost every single OakAsFan post. I think that poster is a valuable addition to the board, something Pizzaboy once said about myself.

Even if you don't agree with OakAsFan, you certainly must be relieved that you have a poster with knowledgeable posts to converse with.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #891516
08/21/16 07:41 PM
08/21/16 07:41 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
Well the actual target of that drone strike has never been named maybe it was the 16 year old boy his father Anwar al-Awlaki an American citizen was killed (some say justifiable some say not) 2 weeks before, both I will add happened in Yemin a country that we have never officially declares war

There is also Samir Khan an American citizen who was killed in Yemin

Where does the outrage start? When it is a republican and not when it is a democrat?
Or are you equally as critical of both administrations (as I am)

Walter Sobchak: This guy f*cking walks. I've never been so sure of anything in my entire life
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #891521
08/21/16 08:34 PM
08/21/16 08:34 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
Yes, drone strikes

This might piss a lot of people off but....

War is just another government program..historically the worst though.

Last edited by SoCalGangs; 08/21/16 08:35 PM.
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: thedudeabides87] #891522
08/21/16 08:53 PM
08/21/16 08:53 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Well the actual target of that drone strike has never been named maybe it was the 16 year old boy his father Anwar al-Awlaki an American citizen was killed (some say justifiable some say not) 2 weeks before, both I will add happened in Yemin a country that we have never officially declares war

Where does the outrage start? When it is a republican and not when it is a democrat?

dude, it was leaked to the media sometime ago that American citizens would be targeted overseas. I really think it was a Pentagon leak to desensitize everyone to what they were planning to do.

President Obama has supposedly authorized drone strikes that have killed thousands. Two to three thousand or better. But he really can only trust what the Pentagon or his advisers tell him. They may be the only ones who really know why a drone strike has to occur.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Faithful1] #891529
08/21/16 10:03 PM
08/21/16 10:03 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Yes, drone strikes

But George W. Bush is responsible, right Binnie? Bush and Cheney secretly made Obama order all those drone strikes.

no, it was Obama but to be fair, its like alfa says. the military chiefs are really to blame, I can't imagine a president going against them.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: thedudeabides87] #891530
08/21/16 10:07 PM
08/21/16 10:07 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest

well, Obama is certainly no bush, [thank god] but, yes, it never seems to end. no matter who is in office, that's why I fear the next prez, there really is no check or balance on the president. and that is truly sad. so yes, I'm critical of the lack of opposition when presidents decide to bomb when and where they choose.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #891531
08/21/16 10:09 PM
08/21/16 10:09 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo

dude, it was leaked to the media sometime ago that American citizens would be targeted overseas. I really think it was a Pentagon leak to desensitize everyone to what they were planning to do.

President Obama has supposedly authorized drone strikes that have killed thousands. Two to three thousand or better. But he really can only trust what the Pentagon or his advisers tell him. They may be the only ones who really know why a drone strike has to occur.

hi alfa, but don't you really think congress should have a little bit of say -so, when the military hawks start their bombing.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: SoCalGangs] #891532
08/21/16 10:18 PM
08/21/16 10:18 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: SoCalGangs
Yes, drone strikes

This might piss a lot of people off but....

War is just another government program..historically the worst though.

yes, as I have posted before, I'm 75 yrs old, saw all the war protests in the 6os, and they were much, much bigger than young people realize.

the people were against the Vietnam war, most of congress was against it, protests started in 1965, ended at kent st. in 1970 when Nixon ordered the national guard to shoot and kill
unarmed teenage protesters.

the point is you can't stop a war, and you are right nothing can stop a war machine.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #891533
08/21/16 10:20 PM
08/21/16 10:20 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
When I said that I was responding to calling one person a war criminal while not acknowledging atrocities by another andministration I see as hypocrisy but I could be wrong.

The U.S. Constitution and international law prohibit the use of lethal force outside of armed conflict zones unless it is used as a last resort against a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of grave harm. Even in the context of an armed conflict against an armed group, the U.S. government may use lethal force only against individuals who are directly participating in hostilities against the United States.-From ACLU

It being leaked doesn't make it right

Not really supposedly he has admitted to civilian deaths.

But he really can only trust what the Pentagon or his advisers tell him. They may be the only ones who really know why a drone strike has to occur.

You can say it is the advisors Pentagon but we may never know, the same thing can be said about Bush administration and weapons of mass destruction he was told by his advisors and the Pentagon yet he is still called a war criminal. I will say I don't believe the War in Iraq was "right" and I think Hussein should still be in power as bad as that sounds

The President may get information from advisors but the decision is his.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Alfa Romeo] #891534
08/21/16 10:23 PM
08/21/16 10:23 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
I enjoy almost every single OakAsFan post. I think that poster is a valuable addition to the board, something Pizzaboy once said about myself.

Even if you don't agree with OakAsFan, you certainly must be relieved that you have a poster with knowledgeable posts to converse with.

yes, alfa I myself respect every poster, but one, I wont mention who, but, we must remember everyone has a right to their opinion. and we are so lucky we have freedom of speech.

it is a rare gift, we americans have always had.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: thedudeabides87] #891537
08/22/16 12:57 AM
08/22/16 12:57 AM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
When I said that I was responding to calling one person a war criminal while not acknowledging atrocities by another andministration I see as hypocrisy but I could be wrong.

The U.S. Constitution and international law prohibit the use of lethal force outside of armed conflict zones unless it is used as a last resort against a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of grave harm. Even in the context of an armed conflict against an armed group, the U.S. government may use lethal force only against individuals who are directly participating in hostilities against the United States.-From ACLU

It being leaked doesn't make it right

Not really supposedly he has admitted to civilian deaths.

But he really can only trust what the Pentagon or his advisers tell him. They may be the only ones who really know why a drone strike has to occur.

You can say it is the advisors Pentagon but we may never know, the same thing can be said about Bush administration and weapons of mass destruction he was told by his advisors and the Pentagon yet he is still called a war criminal. I will say I don't believe the War in Iraq was "right" and I think Hussein should still be in power as bad as that sounds

The President may get information from advisors but the decision is his.

Good post. To your first paragraph, looking for consistency in people to separate the thinkers from the partisans is helpful. Let's find out, who's standing on principle and who's just shilling for a political party.

I got called. Left wing "libtard" many times during those last years of Bush being president. Now I'm getting called a racist right winger for criticizing the government.

Last edited by SoCalGangs; 08/22/16 01:17 AM.
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Binnie_Coll] #891558
08/22/16 08:50 AM
08/22/16 08:50 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I just don't see any good in sending thousands and thousands of troops in Syria, or Iraq, the wars over there may be the kind we can never win. is Hillary really that dumb.

It's not about being dumb, it's about keeping the engine of the war industry running. And it's not only for profit, but also to test new weapons and to provide fresh troops with field experience. If you're a world power you can't sit still if you want to keep on top. That is why the U.S. is continuously involved in conflicts. Politicians like Hillary won't tell you this but it's the simple truth.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891564
08/22/16 01:29 PM
08/22/16 01:29 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
We're living in times where independents somehow became the real partisans.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: OakAsFan] #891596
08/22/16 07:04 PM
08/22/16 07:04 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: OakAsFan

That doesn't make any sense at all. It's an oxymoron. The key concept is that PARTisan relates to a PARTy. Especially someone who knee-jerk instinctively defends their party and depends on the party's talking points to have an opinion instead of thinking for him or herself. So independents can't be partisans, which means we're living in times where partisans are so partisan that they falsely accuse independents of being "the real partisans."

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Faithful1] #891623
08/22/16 10:25 PM
08/22/16 10:25 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss

That doesn't make any sense at all. It's an oxymoron. The key concept is that PARTisan relates to a PARTy. Especially someone who knee-jerk instinctively defends their party and depends on the party's talking points to have an opinion instead of thinking for him or herself. So independents can't be partisans, which means we're living in times where partisans are so partisan that they falsely accuse independents of being "the real partisans."

Now there's a very accurate statement.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: SoCalGangs] #891717
08/23/16 08:16 PM
08/23/16 08:16 PM
Upstate, NY
thedudeabides87 Offline
Underboss
thedudeabides87  Offline
Underboss
Upstate, NY
Originally Posted By: SoCalGang

Good post. To your first paragraph, looking for consistency in people to separate the thinkers from the partisans is helpful. Let's find out, who's standing on principle and who's just shilling for a political party.

I got called. Left wing "libtard" many times during those last years of Bush being president. Now I'm getting called a racist right winger for criticizing the government.

Thanks. I got the same thing then and now sometimes, when I support "liberal" social things I'm a libtard I support "conservative" fiscal policy I'm a racist right Wong conspirator, can't win.

+1

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891718
08/23/16 08:18 PM
08/23/16 08:18 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
I've seen no evidence in today's political climate that independents "think" more than partisans. None.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891720
08/23/16 08:42 PM
08/23/16 08:42 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
Independent could mean anything and be anybody. It's too generic of a label.

But then again labels are harmful sometimes.

Last edited by SoCalGangs; 08/23/16 08:42 PM.
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891722
08/23/16 09:18 PM
08/23/16 09:18 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Since the 80s political scientists have pointed to the 'myth of the independent voter'. It's been covered in most basic college poli-sci texts since that time.

Most data seems to indicate that of the electorate, only 10-11% of self proclaimed independents are truly independent. This is from Pew, Gallup, ANES studies/polls. Most independents are 'leaners' that fall in along dem/GOP party lines, rivalling the support of self proclaimed partisans.

The number of people who are not registering as a member of a party is increasing, but truly independent voters are much rarer.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: helenwheels] #891726
08/23/16 10:11 PM
08/23/16 10:11 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Since the 80s political scientists have pointed to the 'myth of the independent voter'. It's been covered in most basic college poli-sci texts since that time.

Most data seems to indicate that of the electorate, only 10-11% of self proclaimed independents are truly independent. This is from Pew, Gallup, ANES studies/polls. Most independents are 'leaners' that fall in along dem/GOP party lines, rivalling the support of self proclaimed partisans.

The number of people who are not registering as a member of a party is increasing, but truly independent voters are much rarer.

I think it's obvious that most people calling themselves independent lean one way or the other ideologically. But that's besides the point.

The distinction isn't between independents vs people belonging to a political party but by people that defend their party no matter what, and hate the other side no matter what. That's what's usually meant by partisan people.

You can be a registered democrat/republican but not be hyper partisan. You can be a critical thinker and belong to a party, it's just that some people let their identity become wedded to the party to the point where it's almost impossible to be objective.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: SoCalGangs] #891730
08/23/16 10:39 PM
08/23/16 10:39 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss

I think it's obvious that most people calling themselves independent lean one way or the other ideologically. But that's besides the point.

The distinction isn't between independents vs people belonging to a political party but by people that defend their party no matter what, and hate the other side no matter what. That's what's usually meant by partisan people.

That's what partisan means? Thanks, guy. Must write that down. Just have to find a pen... lol

Anyway, someone had mentioned upthread that independents can be partisan, someone else mentioned that they can't be. My point was they can be, and frequently are partisan. Statistical evidence supports this.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: NickyScarfo] #891732
08/23/16 10:53 PM
08/23/16 10:53 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Democrats should just start openly recognizing "partisan independents" as a segment of the Republican base, not unlike the tea party, just for the fun of it.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: Sonny_Black] #891733
08/23/16 11:05 PM
08/23/16 11:05 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
I just don't see any good in sending thousands and thousands of troops in Syria, or Iraq, the wars over there may be the kind we can never win. is Hillary really that dumb.

It's not about being dumb, it's about keeping the engine of the war industry running. And it's not only for profit, but also to test new weapons and to provide fresh troops with field experience. If you're a world power you can't sit still if you want to keep on top. That is why the U.S. is continuously involved in conflicts. Politicians like Hillary won't tell you this but it's the simple truth.

yes, of course you are right, my post above explains my thinking, no one is going to stop our war machine, but,is their one smart enough to try and slow it down, the next prez, no matter who, hopefully won't expand the situation in the middle east.

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: helenwheels] #891736
08/23/16 11:09 PM
08/23/16 11:09 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss

That's what partisan means? Thanks, guy. Must write that down. Just have to find a pen... lol

Anyway, someone had mentioned upthread that independents can be partisan, someone else mentioned that they can't be. My point was they can be, and frequently are partisan. Statistical evidence supports this.

Yes, when someone is called partisan it usually has that connotation especially in the context I was using it in. Being independent doesn't mean you aren't ideologically leaning in any direction and are straight down the middle. but I would ask, if someone is so partisan than why would they not atleast join the party they supposedly like so much?

Also I specifically tried to make a distinction in my post between someone who simply belongs to a political party and somebody that is hyper partisan.

Last edited by SoCalGangs; 08/23/16 11:29 PM.
Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: helenwheels] #891737
08/23/16 11:13 PM
08/23/16 11:13 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest

I can't believe that you don't think independents votes matter, in 1968 geo, Wallace pulled 10 million votes, 1n 1980
john Anderson got 11 millions votes, most who were disappointed in carter, but didn"t want to vote for Reagan,

thereby helping Reagan gain the presidency. by taking votes away from carter,

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: helenwheels] #891738
08/23/16 11:15 PM
08/23/16 11:15 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA

Partisan shares the same root word as party for a reason. You have to belong to or support a party to be a partisan.

In politics, a partisan is a committed member of a political party. In multi-party systems, the term is used for politicians who strongly support their party's policies and are reluctant to compromise with their political opponents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partisan_(political)

Re: Why is Obama so Polarizing? [Re: OakAsFan] #891739
08/23/16 11:19 PM
08/23/16 11:19 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Democrats should just start openly recognizing "partisan independents" as a segment of the Republican base, not unlike the tea party, just for the fun of it.

This is a perfect example of a flaming or trolling comment. It's not written to encourage conversation and reasonable debate, but to inflame.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull