Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: dinocrocetti

I have quite a few friends from Larimer Ave. Every kid on the corner knew a bookie,a loanshark or a pimp. Great area, sad to see it so declined. Reminds me of Steubenville.

I go back once or twice a year. Last time was in May. Consistently, over the last couple of decades, the Avenue looks like a film of Germany's cities at the end of WWII. Of course, the paisan are gone and it is dominated by the mulignane. It's a shame, a crying shame. Hopefully though, since Pittsburgh is booming, there are developers investing in Larimer Ave. (actually all of East Liberty) to revitalize it. In fact, the old Larimer school is one of them.

They just received a $30 million dollar grant to rebuild part of the Avenue...but they need about $200 million to force the jigs out of town. You could say the same about Homewood (an Italian enclave in the early 1900's-1930's), New Kensington, McKees Rocks, Braddock (the headquarters of the Black Hand Society in Western PA) and the Hill District to name a few. Going North, Aliquippa, New Castle, Sharon etc all went to shit when the homies moved in.

Last edited by dinocrocetti; 08/06/16 03:09 PM.