Finally watched this on HBO.

Joel Edgerton steals the show as disgraced FBI agent John Connolly. He chews up the screen in every scene he's in, even outshines Depp's Bulger. I wonder if the movie's better if the story surrounds him instead of Bulger. Then, of course, Depp would have demanded that he play Connolly, and then it wouldn't have been as good. Edgerton saves this one.

I thought the supporting cast was very convincing, from a layman's perspective, considering I've never been to Boston.

The music was good. The Rolling Stones' "Slave" was a nice touch that I think captures that era pretty well. Depp is not a great actor anymore, and an even shittier person, but he's trying to redeem himself by keeping good music and good cinema on life support.

I don't think this was good as The Departed but it was still worth the 2 hours.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea