Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Ivy,

I don't have a problem discussing things with you if we can do it as adults. In the past...during discussions, I've asked you questions....not insulting, not condescending, or in a silly way....and you've opted to not answer and just leave the thread. I'd prefer not to waste time like that.

I think in the history of this country, that those who fall out of the mainstream WASP culture....be they Jews,Catholics,Mormons,Blacks,etc are afforded fuller inclusion in American society under "progressive" and or "liberal" leaders and judges. Conservatism, by definition, is about maintaining the status quo.

As recently as past 10 years....the leader of the largest Protestant denomination in America..literally THE core of the religious right...publicly made disparaging comments about Mormonism. As an example. Not off the cuff remarks either...I think at a public speech.

There is something to be said for being honest about religious differences, but it reveals the limitations of elements of conservatism....that my way is the right way and everybody else has to agree with me or they are wrong.

People who fall out of the "approved" traditions and values of what some people believe have no value and no place in the eyes of the more extreme conservatives.

Those people(the "outsiders", despite what THEIR personal beliefs are, will tend to vote in ways that promote cultural pluralism.

First, I've never intentionally avoided a discussion or stayed away from a thread. It's certainly possible I've forgotten about a given thread or felt it ran it's course once things start to go in circles.

Second, my point was more about religious and spiritual beliefs than strictly conservative vs liberal. Though I would think one would influence the other. As I said, I don't understand how many in the black community can be Christian (the religious side of it) but then support politicians who support positions that aren't Christian (the political side of it).

Now, in the past and now, this is where you'll raise the point about how some Christians (especially certain Protestant and Evangelicals) criticize Mormons and certain things they don't consider Christian (according to their understanding of it). But things like abortion and homosexuality have been decried pretty much across the board among all Christian churches, have they not? At least traditionally, since I'm aware there are certain churches that have recently decided homosexuality is ok. Not sure how they justify it but that's another matter. Bottom line, I don't see black religious leaders saying abortion or homosexuality is ok so I can only assume they are against them. Yet they and their follower's voting habits support those things.

In sum, you're right that there are differences among Christian denominations but it's essentially a moot point since I'm not aware of any black churches or leaders that have announced they see no moral problems with those issues.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.