Originally Posted By: SoCalGangs
Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Originally Posted By: SoCalGangs
Rehabilitation sounds good and all but it's very tricky.

Care to explain?

Do you have experience with rehabilitation of gang members (or attempts thereof) that you could explain in detail?

Well, it depends what you mean by that exactly. Please explain to me how exactly this rehabilitation could or should work and why it would work.

Some people rehabilitate, some never will. It is pretty hard to know who is capable and who isn't, unless you know them them individually. Even then it is hard.

The problem I see is in how to actually successfully make it happen on a large scale. Yes I have seen it happen on a small scale, but there's a sample bias of individuals that seek help.

My concern would be with some sweeping attempt on a large scale, where it could be dangerous. Guys already in prison, career criminal types, will take advantage if they can to further their criminal activities. At this stage it becomes pretty difficult, although not impossible for everyone.

Just concerns I have. I'm open to any new ideas.

I do know gang members of all ages in life. I've seen plenty make it out and do relatively well, and many that of course don't. I'm more into prevention than anything else.

Prevention is difficult as they cut funding to schools, after school programs, sports programs, art programs, job training programs, affordable school and job training for parents, drug rehab and counseling for parents. If prevention is the goal, I can't see how eliminating these things help.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea