Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Because they respected him, initially. Montagna was already known as a messenger between the Montreal members and New York. The authors of Mafia Inc. state in their book that after Montagna settled in Montreal and was introduced to Desjardins that the two decided to work together and conspire against the Rizzuto family.

I can't imagine being a Bonnano meant a whole lot at this time in Montreal. So I'm guessing they just took him on board as an extra body for help because he was already a mobster and knew the game? He probably assumed that he can run them because he had a high rank back in NY and they welcomed him, guess he was wrong.

Quote:

I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that was he actually working for Di Maulo. But I'm sure that Di Maulo's status helped him to achieve his own.

So then who did he answer to? I understand that prior to all of this Vito was his boss and he was a close associate, but if he ran this crew and flipped on the Rizzuto family, who was giving the orders if not for Di Maulo? Why would Vito kill Di Maulo? Obviously it was either he was the head or one of the leaders of the opposition, or he chose to keep quite and do nothing to stop the war.