Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
Originally Posted By: Fleming_Ave
What the fuck does the Mob care who's President? They are not paying anywhere near their fair share of taxes anyway, so they don't have much to lose either way. Remember the end of Goodfellas? "I never paid taxes, I never voted...."

Low taxes is not the only route to success. Sometimes there needs to be a sophisticated scheme, too. That's where a president could come in handy. Sam Giancana thought the Kennedys would look the other way from the Vegas rackets. He was telling people Vegas was going to be wide open. Boy was he wrong. But he thought it would be, and he took an interest in the election. As I said earlier, I doubt the Genoveses are in the position they're in today because they're just out there cracking more heads than the other families. They were active in the housing bubble. Made millions, I'm sure. So, they're probably not the biggest fans of bank regulation, and therefore would prefer a Republican over a Democrat.

What our friend Ivy League seems to be in denial of is that the mob shifted their allegiance from Democrat to Republican in the '70s, and, it was because of Bobby Kennedy, the biggest gang buster in the history of the U.S. government, and a Democrat. The Kennedys used the mob like two dollar whores, and Frank Sinatra, for that matter, which is why he became a Republican too. Sinatra, Dino, Rickles and the guys chumming up at Reagan's inaugural ball should give you enough of a clue. You think they do that if their "friends" back east are Democrats?

I agree with that generally. I just wanted to make the point that the mob does not have investment in good government the way us law abiding folks do. They do not seem like civic minded people anyway. I am not a fan of this topic anyway as it tends to lead to partisan bickering. I think it's more suited to the politics forum.