Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
You're still missing the concept of restructuring. Bobby reconstructed the justice department to make the mafia a top priority. And, that restructure was permanent. Obviously, the shift since has gone toward terrorism, but until the mob was brought to its knees in the '80s, the restructure that Bobby Kennedy implemented was instrumental in whatever efforts were made to fight the mob, during and after the Kennedy White House. Ronald Reagan's name is hardly even mentioned in regards to fighting the mafia. He was hyping up the Cold War and the Soviets the second he took office. Did he ever even mention organized crime when in office? His jelly beans were a bigger priority.

If they were so instrumental, why the lull in efforts against the mob during the rest of the 1960's and 1970's? And why did things change in a big way in the 1980's? You can try and give Kennedy credit for everything afterward but people who know their history aren't going to buy it. And you apparently know nothing about Reagan's efforts against organized crime while in office. That you actually have to ask if he "ever even mentioned organized crime" tells me I've been arguing with someone talking out of their ass this entire time. Read about the President's Commission on Organized Crime, the Comprehensive Crime Control Act, or several speeches by him or by people in the FBI who saw things turn around in the 1980s. Like I said, that wasn't just a coincidence.

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/01/12/magazine/declaring-war-on-organized-crime.html?pagewanted=all

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.