@Sonny

While I wouldn't put him there with Chin (Chin wasn't really in jail during his reign) it is something to hold power for such a long time. I give Merlino credit on the " Gangster side " of things, you can't take that away from him, he is a tough guy. But on the earning side, the most consistent thing I've heard of him doing is betting and not paying up. He might have more action going that's low-key, it's impossible to know right now.

But I suspect that a lot of Joeys power today is in realizing what he can and can not do. Like I think a big reason he's still in charge today is because he ISNT being heavy handed with these guys that just got out. They gotta eat right now, these guys just did 20 and 30 years, how far into their pockets can you justifiably reach before you push em too far? Y'all mentioned Scafidi, I think he should have learned from that situation. Contrast that with how Chin didn't even want MONEY from most of his capos, but he DEMANDED OBEDIENCE.

I'm reminded of something Pizzaboy said, like even though Joey is a boss, when he's in Florida, he might not be in the top 15 of wise guys down there...