Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Generally speaking, white ethnic inner city neighborhoods were done by the '60s; by the '80s it was remnants and these days -- generally -- it's the remnants of the remnants.

There are notable exceptions, of course. I'm far from an expert on NYC but I imagine it's generally the same.

In Chicago the places Nicky mentions are far less than 10% Italian, though some do retain a lot of Italian character and have some notable Outfit hangouts.

Interestingly enough there are a couple places that have bucked the trend; most notably Canaryvilke, a south side inner-city neighborhood of 5,000 that has somehow defied the odds to remain virtually all Irish for 100 years.

But that's changing too. Bridgeport is almost half Asian now, I think, and Canaryville gets more Mexican every year. Grand and Ogden will be owned by all yuppies within a decade.

Kind of cool to be able to see a little bit of what's left, but if you are into it make sure to take photos, cause it's over.

You're completely wrong. Elmwood Park and Norridge are both around 30% italian. Where do you get this 10% number from?

And note for grand Ave I said pockets, never said it was a full on neighborhood.

I'm not gonna go through the bridgeport soapbox with you again but I'll say that anything between 35th and 26th street and east of Halsted is still very much an Italian area. The other parts of bridgeport not so much. And I'm including armour sq in that too.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 06/04/16 12:27 AM.