I started following this mob stuff in the early 2000s, back then most of the talk was of decline, disarray. Newspapers and articles would say the mob would be totally gone in 20 years. Back then, barely any families even had a boss, there was complicated power sharing arrangements, and numerous street bosses.
Despite all this, if we compare the families of 2000 compared to 2016, I think the case can be made for some being in a stronger place. Gambino and Lucchese family stick out mainly as being in a pretty strong position. A case could also be made for Philly too, recently we have seen George Anastasia change his tune from "the mob is played out here" to "were seeing more members on the streets now than since the late 80s"
Bonnano's probably worse off than at the turn of the century, Colombo's also maybe. Genovese, hard to know but seem to be pretty steady.
I think also the mob are flying so far under the radar today also, no hits really, no one really being flashy, no social club hangouts (still a few), members in NY living spread out amongst the populations, not congregating like they used to.
Also there just not really getting any media attention anymore, and no doubt law enforcement now has much bigger fish to fry with terrorism. its been 10 years since the sopranos ended, now were talking about Donald Trump, ISIS, Putin. All this has served them well. My house mate is from NJ, young guy, could name maybe 1 family out of 5, only name he knew was John Gotti. Really operating in the shadows these days, I guess they learnt their lessons.