Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Revis,
The story about JC and hiphop is sort of a dirty little secret. LOT of people in early hip hop culture were from NJ, but downplayed it because if you weren't from NY, you weren't official.

Specifically about JC, the Awesome 2....Teddy Ted and Special K....credited with the first hiphop radio show on earth, were from JC....but the show was based in NY.

I never knew they were Jersey guys until a few years back. ..and I can count on 4 fingers the acts from JC that have ever come out(saying they were from Jersey), so I'm probably wrong about JC's hip hop roots.

That's a good call,Revis...gonna look that up. As a guy from Newark, I didn't associate Jersey with hip hop really until the Flavor Unit came about.

Newark used to be rough. So was JC. I remember hearing horror stories about the curries woods projects. My cousin was a cop and he said the most dangerous neighborhoods he has been in are Greenville in JC(curries woods projects area) and East New York, Brooklyn. I didn't know that those guys were from jersey though that's news to me. I don't understand why people had to say they were from NY. North Jersey might as well be a 6th borough of sorts because of the proximity and similarities in culture, slang etc.