Originally Posted By: OakAsFan
You hear a lot more about Bugsy Siegel and Mickey Coen than you do about Jack Dragna or any other of the LA family members. I think New York always ran things in Hollywood low key through their Jewish connections, for whatever reason. The only LA Family member really big in this scene was Johnny Roselli, who I believe was actually Chicago Outfit, and who was sent to work with the LA family. It's hard to say why the LA family never really prospered in the commission's heyday, although I recall they were powerful during Prohibition. My guess is that by the time the Commission was gaining power, the LAPD was recruiting a lot of southern white racists that viewed Italians as an ethnic minority.

Ever seen the movie 'American Me' ? features the beginning of La Eme/Mexican Mafia and their struggle with Jack Dragna, who poisened all the dope an killed a lot of hoods. I wonder if the LA family at one point controlled everything in LA until their decline like the Movie predicts.

''Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but then again the bible says to love thy enemy.'' - Frank Sinatra

''Oh, I just wish someone would try to hurt you so I could kill them for you.''