Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
My last few thought on an interesting debate;

1. I just really wanted to be sure we weren't maintaining any double standards on this one. Law enforcement was made the preeminent source for info regarding LCN and mob activities. My feeling was if the Feds say there is a viable family, 30 or so guys, 4 crews, and an administration, largely confined to gambling, I say okay, so what? That's why the argument confuses me a little, you guys are saying absolutely not, its Impossible? If the FBI info is obsolete, then I guess you would have a point..... Just to clarify, is it? These charts are Burnsteins and NOT the Feds, right? And he has an agenda? To like sell books or something? Or his website? That's what you guys are saying it seems.....

Yes, they are Scott's charts, not the feds. Those who have been on these forums as long as I have (that's none of you) know not to take Scott's estimates and charts at face value but with at least a grain of salt. I have explained over and over again why that is - constantly changing estimates, charts that don't differentiate between members and associates, unrealistically hierarchical, etc. I think he does his best, trying to piece together info as much as he can, but his contradictions and inconsistencies have shown it's largely guesswork on his part. Anyone who thinks his charts, as they appear online, are something that comes straight from the feds is delusional.

In fact, its telling that we really haven't seen any recent estimates from the feds. Other than Scott's numbers, the only other estimate I've seen since the turn of the century was that 2001 article that mentioned 30 members. This was the same estimate 5 years earlier during the GamTax case so we can put some stock in it. As I pointed out, dozens of members or possible members have died since 2000. Even if you choose to believe Detroit is still making members, which there's been no evidence of, to think they've made enough to maintain those 30 members - let alone getting bigger - is delusional.

Lastly, I think some of you have a reading compression problem because I've always said, given the conflicting opinions of OC experts on Detroit, one can be justified in including it among the remaining viable mob families. What isn't justifiable is buying into the false image of a strong family, with 30, 40, or more members, that is virtually immune to law enforcement. Nor is it justifiable to excuse the relative lack of cases against the family on its intermarriage of members, the feds having other investigative priorities, the economic state of the city, etc. At best you have a very small family, with some semblance of a hierarchy, who's illegal activities don't go beyond bookmaking. And, for comparison purposes, that sounds a lot like Buffalo.

Originally Posted By: gangstereport
what i cant understand with you ivy and sonny is why it can be seen in the middle?

i never said and i dont think anyone on here believes they have 40 made guys with mythical ability to survive prosecution. But if you do look back in history they have been very good at surviving prosecution but your right the lack of mob cases does suggest a family in decline. The FBI say it is a viable but then there is a lack of cases your right ivy

maybe your right as well ivy scott is a bullshitter he does not get paid through his site but he could be exaggerating to get more attention. Then again jerry capeci allowed him to write on his gangland site so jerry does not see him as a lier. I personally enjoy his site do i take everything he says as fact? no i do not

could you see it possible ivy and sonny that there is LCN in detroit with around 20-25 made guys a small tight knit leadership a family who is getting older with a hierarchy i know of a couple of young guys neither made but your right ivy they are in decline. I think that is a likely situation in this family. There is a argument ivy like you said in one of your earlier posts for both points and as you said its why mob experts are at disagreement.

we can all agree that they are a very interesting family

See what I said above about people being justified in still including Detroit among the remaining viable families as long as the image they have of the family has some basis in demonstrable fact.

I don't think Scott is a bullshitter or intentionally misleads. I do think he's been sloppy at times, slow to admit he's guessing on a lot of stuff, and quick to take liberties with slapping labels on guys and overstating the position of the family. It's a common thing one sees with mob authors and their subject. See The Sixth Family by Humphreys and Lamothe or Gangbusters by Volkman, for example.

Lastly, considering where the membership was 15-20 years ago, and how many members have died over that period, I'd honestly be surprised if the family even has 20-25 members at this point.

Originally Posted By: Blackjack2121
The funny thing is, Ivy is doing exactly what he so often accuses everyone else he "debates" with. Pick and choosing the information that supports his argument. You can't say, well I believe law enforcement about THIS but not about THIS because it doesnt fit the horn I have been tooting.

You would have a point if I was saying nobody can believe there is still a viable family in Detroit. But, as I pointed out twice above, people can be justified in holding that viewpoint given the conflicting opinions by OC experts. Again, what isn't excusable is having an unrealistic image of the family or depending on lame excuses to explain away the lack of cases there.

Furthermore, I've always said I take all evidence on a matter and weigh it in the balance. Though I certainly don't hold all sources as being equal. Nobody on these boards puts more weight in what the feds say than I do. Again, we're talking about what the feds say here - not Scott. But, as I've also said, I put even more stock in what the feds do than what they say. In other words, their actions speak louder than their words. The feds say the mob is still a priority in other areas of the country and we see resulting cases. The same really can't be said for Detroit.

Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
Understand, I had to put up with someone saying the Rizzutos are a crew. Which is breathtakingly silly, but I didn't see anywhere near this level of resistance.....

I watched that Philly special report, ( and I will gladly eat my words, as they appear to be active and trying to do it the right way, well, besides the social club, lol) it said clearly there's four factions, yet guys on the board like Sonny can call bullshit, on info that came from from law enforcement clearly, and reported on the news. No one bit his head off either?

But apparently you guys interpret info better than anyone else? It just cracks me up sometimes. Like I remember people were speculating Cali was running the Gambinos, people said no way. Then Capeci said the same thing, and it's he's a hack, people write for him, he's losing it. Well, he's still the best source of info on this shit for most people.

That Jersey OC report, has a lot of inaccuracies, I don't dismiss it outright though, I sift through and find the quality info. I read stuff all the time completely contradictory to what's "accepted fact".

Like I said, if the info is in fact obsolete, fine. Just don't maintain any double standards. Like Ivey you say you want to keep the things grounded, fine. Just remember, you also argued up,and down, that Detroit wasn't, no fuck that, you said COULDNT be a power in the 40s and 50s. Just like you keep everyone in check, people have to make sure you practice what you preach......

I'm not sure it's really been established there are 4 factions, though that can partly depend on how you want to define the term. Those who have floated the faction theory haven't agreed. Scott named the 4 factions as being headed by Merlino, Borgesi, Narducci, and Pungitore. Schratweiser named Merlino, Ligambi, Narducci, and Pungitore. And that's not including other reports about a 3 man ruling panel.

Capeci, who I consider very credible, said he has conflicting sources about the Gambino leadership. Some say Cali is now acting boss while others say it's still Cefalu.

Most of the 2004 New Jersey OC report is pretty straight on. A few things, like who it labels in the Genovese hierarchy, is questionable though.

I'm not sure what you mean by double standards. I apply the same to each family. For example, one could argue that Philly is more or less a gambling operation at this point. The difference is, we've seen a lot more cases there than in Detroit. And we've seen guys specifically listed as a certain rank in indictments that can verify or correct charts on the forums. Not so in Detroit.

Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Can't believe this argument happens like, I don't know, once every two weeks? The same. Exact. Thing.

Ivy, I swear, I don't understand how you never tire of repeating the same shit over and over. And over. And again. 10 years plus. Same shit.

I hear you. You'd think after years of having the known facts being put right in front of their face, people would learn. But I suppose some people are going to believe what they want to believe. It's why I say there will still be people with an outdated view of the Detroit mob years from now even after the status quo of little in the way of mob cases continues.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 01/29/16 12:54 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.