I think this is getting bogged down in this semantics of titles, who's a boss, who's a capo...does being labelled a lieutenant hold the same power as a capo?

Its clear that Montreal was a Bonnano crew headed by Vic Controni until his imprisonment where Violi stepped in, I guess in an acting capacity. By the time of his release Violi was dead and Contrini accepted the new admin... the rizzutos.

It seems they themselves don't label each other with official titles, perhaps as a deliberate rouse to keep outsiders guessing, but as in any organization there will be some individuals that will for whatever reason, float to the top. If people like sciara were used in a counseller position, weather there was an official title or not, is not exactly surprising.

All evidence shows they were pulling away from the Bonnanos from the early/mid ninties, acting for all intents as a separate family. The NY Bonnanos clearly had no idea what was going on up north, and the Canadians weren't clearing anything or going on record with the bosses back in NY for anything they were doing.

They didn't even know how many guys they had up there. If the Canadians were submitting a list for approval, at least approval from the Bonnano admin, before making guys, they would have had some idea but its clear from Vitale they had none.

Vitale says the last tribute received came down end of year 1998. Sciassia gets knocked March 99. It seems to me Montreal was pulling away prior to this, the killing was just the excuse needed to officially sever ties.

At this point, I think anyone who thinks Montreal is still under the Bonnano flag is crazy.