I agree that they took their cues for half a century from the NY but I'm having a difficult time with Montreal being described as a crew. I believe they are a family. While NY families were having their share of problems,RICO legislations and turncoats; Montreal family flourished under the Cotroni clan and flourished even more under the Rizzuto clan, to the point that they have become powerful. In order for both to flourish the Calabrians and Sicilians had to work together even though they didn't like each other. One ruled over the other but for the sake of prosperity they had to function as one. I believe either group considers themselves as separate families.
PS:They also induct members from other parts of Italy in case someone wants to bring that up.
I still maintain the killing of Gerlando Scascia fractured the relationship between Montreal and NY. At the moment the infighting between these two Montreal clans and the strained relationship with NY have caused setbacks among themselves.