Originally Posted By: BronaZora
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: BronaZora
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Nobody is denying that high level associates can have a lot of influence. Sometimes even more than some made guys if they are close enough to the boss or in a key money making position. But technically speaking, they are still associates. I see no convincing evidence that Fernandez was more than that. In other words, I don't believe he went through any kind of formal making ritual ie was seen in the same way as actual made members who had.

Would you say that Al Capone was only a high level associate because he had no formal ceremony?

No but the Chicago mob at that time, and probably up through the 1960's, was a unique case. But Capone was at least Italian. So you really can't draw a parallel between him and Fernandez.

I'm not drawing parallels between Capone and Fernandez, the point I'm trying to make is being made through a ceremony is an outdated idea and it only really matters if you're a small time mobster. If you're a high ranked member of a known Italian led organization and you come from an Italian background then you'd be treated like a made guy by other mafia families whether you went through a LCN ceremony or not.

Someone mentioned that guys like Fernandez and Desjardins only mattered in their mafia circles, not outside. I completely agree with that, but high ranked Italian mobsters in Montreal/Toronto/Hamilton are recognized as made men regardless of whether they're LCN or not.

You may think it's an outdated idea but there's no evidence the Mafia thinks so. Even today, high-ranking associates (Italian or otherwise) who have the same clout as a made guy are the exception to the rule. I'm not sure who you're referring to in Canada but, when it comes to being a made guy, that typically means he has gone through some form of formal initiation. Even the rare associates that have the clout of a made guy are still recognized as such. Not made members.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.