Well the head of the FBI's OC squads in NY said just last year that the mob there "has quietly staged a comeback and is now more powerful than it has been in years." However, I wouldn't rate it as a "renaissance." Stabilized is probably more accurate.

Also, I don't think the situation in NY applies elsewhere. I don't think any of them have rebounded like the NY families. They are where they would be regardless of 9/11 and them appearing to rebound is due more to premature obituaries of those families. Philadelphia is a good example. We had seen several articles saying the mob there was all but finished. Then with the Ligambi bust, the press acted like the mob had appeared out of nowhere, when it never went away to begin with. Even after all this time some in the press can't resist the drama by going to one extreme or another rather than recognize the slow demise of the mob for what it is.

And I wouldn't put any of those families outside NY on the level they were in the early 1990's. In fact, I don't think I'd put any of the NY families on an early 1990's level either. The NY families may have come back but probably not to that point. You'll recall in the early 1990's the feds were still in the process of removing the mob from JFK airport and the garment center and hadn't even gotten around to major changes in the garbage industry, food markets, or the Javits Center. Perhaps it's as strong as it has been in NY since the late 1990's/early 2000's.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 12/10/15 12:17 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.