GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lana), 363 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,442
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,433
Posts1,060,892
Members10,349
Most Online992
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700635
03/02/13 10:00 AM
03/02/13 10:00 AM
S
Southphilly4ever Offline
Made Member
Southphilly4ever  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: JacklynnPetropoulos
Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117
"It is difficult to chart the history of the Philadelphia Mafia, given its frequent personnel changes caused by the violent deaths of several of its members."

Quote from 3rd Circuit opinion in United States v. Pungitore, 910 F.2d 1084 (3d Cir. 1990).
Wonderful quote and very true

There are literally so many of them, its almost hard to catch them all. I'm just now reading through a 3rd Circuit opinion from 1983 involving the Chestnut Hill Lincoln Mercury Dealership staged robbery, a bunch of numbers operations and loansharking from the late 70s where govt had wiretapped Frank's Cabana Steak House, Tyrone DeNittis Talent Agency, and C. Warren Check Cashing Company. For some reaason, Carl Ippolito was found incompetent to stand trial and I havent gotten to why yet. Before the trial even started, 5 of some 12 defendants were killed -- Bruno, Phil Testa, Narducci, Sindone, and Simone; and Pat the Cat was whacked pending the appeal. Lol.

I've heard all these people obviously except for Carl Ippolito? What family was he with?

Last edited by Southphilly4ever; 03/02/13 10:01 AM.
Re: All Things Philly [Re: Southphilly4ever] #700658
03/02/13 01:53 PM
03/02/13 01:53 PM
J
JacklynnPetropoulos Offline OP
Button
JacklynnPetropoulos  Offline OP
J
Button
Originally Posted By: Southphilly4ever
"It is difficult to chart the history of the Philadelphia Mafia, given its frequent personnel changes caused by the violent deaths of several of its members."

Quote from 3rd Circuit opinion in United States v. Pungitore, 910 F.2d 1084 (3d Cir. 1990).
Wonderful quote and very true

He was an associate of Stanfa's Florida crew...
There are literally so many of them, its almost hard to catch them all. I'm just now reading through a 3rd Circuit opinion from 1983 involving the Chestnut Hill Lincoln Mercury Dealership staged robbery, a bunch of numbers operations and loansharking from the late 70s where govt had wiretapped Frank's Cabana Steak House, Tyrone DeNittis Talent Agency, and C. Warren Check Cashing Company. For some reaason, Carl Ippolito was found incompetent to stand trial and I havent gotten to why yet. Before the trial even started, 5 of some 12 defendants were killed -- Bruno, Phil Testa, Narducci, Sindone, and Simone; and Pat the Cat was whacked pending the appeal. Lol.

I've heard all these people obviously except for Carl Ippolito? What family was he with?

Attached Files CarlIppolito.png

"Goodfellas don't sue goodfellas. . . . Goodfellas kill goodfellas." ~ Salvatore Profaci in bugged NJ mob lawyer Sal Avena's office

“This was the Volkswagen of racketeering charges” ~ Def. Attorney Ed Jacobs, Jr.

"Meanwhile, I got the uncle who wants me out of the way.... Great family, aren't they? This is what it's all about." ~Louis "Bent-Finger Louie" Monacello

"It was a wholesale annihilation.... How many times do they want to be beat? Because I'm frankly getting tired of it. They went fishing for Joe Ligambi, and the jury gave them Gary Battaglini.” ~ Def Atty Christopher Warren
Re: All Things Philly [Re: TonyBoy117] #700659
03/02/13 01:55 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Missed Hits

October 14, 1983 – Frank Martinez

Martines is how it's spelled I think, guy was made under Stanfa and was with the Riccobenes prior,had a last name similar to Bonnano mobster John Morales , then again his nickname was "Spanish Frank" but I doubt he was actually Spanish

I think you actually may be right with the spelling. The court opinion has Frank's last name spelled as Martines.

"Goodfellas don't sue goodfellas. . . . Goodfellas kill goodfellas." ~ Salvatore Profaci in bugged NJ mob lawyer Sal Avena's office

“This was the Volkswagen of racketeering charges” ~ Def. Attorney Ed Jacobs, Jr.

"Meanwhile, I got the uncle who wants me out of the way.... Great family, aren't they? This is what it's all about." ~Louis "Bent-Finger Louie" Monacello

"It was a wholesale annihilation.... How many times do they want to be beat? Because I'm frankly getting tired of it. They went fishing for Joe Ligambi, and the jury gave them Gary Battaglini.” ~ Def Atty Christopher Warren
Re: All Things Philly [Re: Southphilly4ever] #700660
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss

99% sure he was a made guy with the Bruno family in philly but he was based out of Trenton. They used to call him Pappy or something like that.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: Giancarlo] #700663
03/02/13 02:14 PM
03/02/13 02:14 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo

99% sure he was a made guy with the Bruno family in philly but he was based out of Trenton. They used to call him Pappy or something like that.

Stanfa's Florida crew. With Santo Idone and Anthony "Spike" Gregorio

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700665
03/02/13 02:26 PM
03/02/13 02:26 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss

Stanfa's Florida crew. With Santo Idone and Anthony "Spike" Gregorio

Maybe later on but he was originally out of Trenton, i think he might of worked the junkets with Bruno but i'm not positive on that.

Stanfa had a florida crew?

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700666
03/02/13 02:29 PM
03/02/13 02:29 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
^^exactly my question I wanted to ask lol

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 03/02/13 02:29 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: Dapper_Don] #700669
03/02/13 02:50 PM
03/02/13 02:50 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Yeah, I was just looking for the part of Anastasia's book, The Last Gangster, where he tells the time frame. It was when Stanfa was kind of ousted by the family for causing a bunch of craziness. Idone and Gregorio definitely spent some time in PA/NJ. Once I find the passage I'll update you.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700671
03/02/13 03:08 PM
03/02/13 03:08 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Looks like Pappy Ippolito was Joey Ipp's uncle. Joey Ippolito was a pretty big drug guy. There's a photo of Joey Ipp and Jimmy Coonan from the westies together at one of the prisons they were at. I think Joey's Ipp's father was with the DeCavalcante's.

Jacklynn this one site has a page on a few of the guys you mentioned being down in Florida but i'm not sure on the years.

http://www.geocities.ws/organizedcrimesyndicates/philadelphia_florida.html

It seems that Scarfo had his Rolls Royce registered to Anthony Gregorio down in Florida before the feds seized it.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700678
03/02/13 05:47 PM
03/02/13 05:47 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Just reading the NJ SCI investigation reports from 1991 on OC in bars explains how unbelievably profitable these guys were before Mr. MTV Merlino took over. Obviously, nothing near what Bruno was able to do b/c of his respect from NY, but I never knew the number of south jersey and philly bars the Bruno/Scarfo family had a dip in. Not to mention the freakin Medford Country Club!!!!

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700681
03/02/13 05:56 PM
03/02/13 05:56 PM
J
Button
J
Button
And seriously, the number of people Leonetti has taken down in court...how is he still alive? If I were affiliated with any of them and saw the Mafia Prince's little book, I would have gone straight bananas! Ugh. Natale is one thing, but how MTV Merlino is allowing Leonetti to out-pretty him, is just sad.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: Giancarlo] #700682
03/02/13 06:00 PM
03/02/13 06:00 PM
J
Button
J
Button

You were right! And ask anyone I know, and they will tell you how hard it is for me to admit that. lol. But Ill never admit saying it now... lol

"...Carl “Pappy” Ippolito and it took awhile for Ippolito to get his money back.Ippolito, who was a member of the
Family from the Trenton, N.J., area.."

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700683
03/02/13 06:01 PM
03/02/13 06:01 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Just reading the NJ SCI investigation reports from 1991 on OC in bars explains how unbelievably profitable these guys were before Mr. MTV Merlino took over.

OCbars1 and OCbars2 are great reads. A ton of good info in them.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700830
03/03/13 08:35 PM
03/03/13 08:35 PM
J
Button
J
Button
It seems like every time I look up info on one murder, I find three more! lol. The list continues to grow

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700849
03/03/13 09:40 PM
03/03/13 09:40 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Okay my fellow Fhilthadelphians...I just got "Prince" Leonetti's book. I apologize now for any future rants on how much of a sell out he is. I'm in no way condoning "that life" but if you are going to take the oath, then take the oath and die by the oath.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700881
03/04/13 08:49 AM
03/04/13 08:49 AM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
Isn't that something JackieLynn and alot of these people say the feds and the law are wasting their time on these guys,their just a couple of old bookmakers from the neighborhood,go after the real criminals.Jackie is murder a crime?

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700908
03/04/13 02:25 PM
03/04/13 02:25 PM
ne philly
merlino Offline
jesus quintana
merlino  Offline
jesus quintana
Underboss
ne philly
I have seen it spelled both ways. I originally had it spelled Martines, then I actually just saw it spelled with a 'z' the last few times. I attached a pic.

I know their family and his son lets you know its "Martines" with an "S"

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700919
03/04/13 03:38 PM
03/04/13 03:38 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Okay my fellow Fhilthadelphians...I just got "Prince" Leonetti's book. I apologize now for any future rants on how much of a sell out he is. I'm in no way condoning "that life" but if you are going to take the oath, then take the oath and die by the oath.

It's actually a pretty decent read Jacklynn, i think you'll enjoy it.

One thing Leonetti say's throughout the book is how alot of the guys didn't realise that NY picked the boss and without their approval you could not become the boss of the family.

That does seem to have been the case up until the time of Joey Merlino. Say what you want about Merlino but it sure seemed like he didn't give a shit if NY approved of him or not. First philly guy to stand up to those meddling NY bosses. I read Tino Fiumara wanted Joey and his pals to come up north for a chat, where there was a good chance they would of been hit. Joey told Tino something like, you want to talk, well come down to philly and we'll talk here. That takes balls my friends to tell a feared guy like Tino Fiumara your not interested in having a talk with him unless it's on your home turf. Not too many people that annoyed Tino lived after pissing him off. Without a doubt Fiumara was the most feared gangster in jersey at the time.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700941
03/04/13 05:05 PM
03/04/13 05:05 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
giancarlo do u remember where you read that?

When Interpol?
Re: All Things Philly [Re: cheech] #700946
03/04/13 05:21 PM
03/04/13 05:21 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cheech
giancarlo do u remember where you read that?

It's been awhile but i'll see if i can dig up the article.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: Giancarlo] #700963
03/04/13 08:32 PM
03/04/13 08:32 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

One thing Leonetti say's throughout the book is how alot of the guys didn't realise that NY picked the boss and without their approval you could not become the boss of the family.

That does seem to have been the case up until the time of Joey Merlino. Say what you want about Merlino but it sure seemed like he didn't give a shit if NY approved of him or not. First philly guy to stand up to those meddling NY bosses. I read Tino Fiumara wanted Joey and his pals to come up north for a chat, where there was a good chance they would of been hit. Joey told Tino something like, you want to talk, well come down to philly and we'll talk here. That takes balls my friends to tell a feared guy like Tino Fiumara your not interested in having a talk with him unless it's on your home turf. Not too many people that annoyed Tino lived after pissing him off. Without a doubt Fiumara was the most feared gangster in jersey at the time.

i remember hearing this story a few times

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700969
03/04/13 09:14 PM
03/04/13 09:14 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
For the record I don't doubt the story. Just would like to read it. I am an avid reader and book nut

When Interpol?
Re: All Things Philly [Re: cheech] #700973
03/04/13 09:47 PM
03/04/13 09:47 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cheech
For the record I don't doubt the story. Just would like to read it. I am an avid reader and book nut

Who knows if it's really true or not, but i definitely read it somewhere. Merlino isn't a guy who i really think much of (as a boss), but when i read he blew Tino off i had to give the guy props for having the balls to do it. It definitely caught my attention when i read it.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #700981
03/04/13 10:25 PM
03/04/13 10:25 PM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
Speaking of going for a ride up north,was that basically the demise of Dutchie Avicoli.Wasn't he good friends with Merlino so he basically went on his own free will and never came back.Is that how it went,and was it because he was messing with somebody's lady.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: 22] #700987
03/04/13 11:32 PM
03/04/13 11:32 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: 22
Speaking of going for a ride up north,was that basically the demise of Dutchie Avicoli.Wasn't he good friends with Merlino so he basically went on his own free will and never came back.Is that how it went,and was it because he was messing with somebody's lady.

I have no idea if it's true or not but i remember hearing that Avicoli was messin with the wrong guys wife, and it wasn't Merlino's.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #701049
03/05/13 11:28 AM
03/05/13 11:28 AM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
Weren't Santo and Spike with Nicky Scarfo SR?

Re: All Things Philly [Re: spmob] #701062
03/05/13 01:51 PM
03/05/13 01:51 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: spmob

Yes, they were. In Leonetti's book there's a photo of Spike with Leonetti's son in the Scarf Inc office.

Idone's been around since at least Bruno who bumped him up to capo in 1976 or 77. Didn't he run the rackets in Chester?

Re: All Things Philly [Re: Giancarlo] #701067
03/05/13 02:50 PM
03/05/13 02:50 PM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss

Yes, they were. In Leonetti's book there's a photo of Spike with Leonetti's son in the Scarf Inc office.

Idone's been around since at least Bruno who bumped him up to capo in 1976 or 77. Didn't he run the rackets in Chester?

I got it from the book to. I have to re-read though. I read it so fast the first time I want to see what I missed or can't remember.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: spmob] #701078
03/05/13 03:52 PM
03/05/13 03:52 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss

I got it from the book to. I have to re-read though. I read it so fast the first time I want to see what I missed or can't remember.

Same here, when i read it the second time i noticed a few things that i missed the first time around.

Pretty sure Spike was originally a south philly guy and Leonetti said he was basically the caretaker for Scarfo's florida house. He kept the place in shape for Nicky when the guys were up north or in jail. Leonetti said everyone liked Spike and that he was a real happy go lucky guy but that he also was a "degenerate gambler and con man" who owed everyone, and would "steal anything he could get his hands on". lol lol

I really don't know too much else about DiGregorio besides what Leonetti wrote in his book.

Re: All Things Philly [Re: Giancarlo] #701144
03/05/13 10:53 PM
03/05/13 10:53 PM
J
Button
J
Button

Im not really impressed. Its really easy to say all he says after serving 5 years, 5 months, and 5 days...despite admitting over 20 murders. That disgusts me as a citizen, as a lawyer, as a human being. Not only that, but he is profiting off it all. Again, Im just as guilty because I purchased the book (well I didnt, but guilted a friend into buying it for me. lol).

I dont like him. And maybe that biases me toward the book. Not to mention that I wasnt 8 pages in and I find a typo, and then a second one on pg 17. (sorry Im an editor, and I sleep with red pens near me).

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull