For being such good friends, DeCicco had no issue it seems with killing Gotti himself if things went bad. The killing Gotti comment was his own words, I have no reason to doubt that if he hadn't been killed, Gotti would've been dead, he was too public. DeCicco weren't fond it, neither was Sammy The Bull or a lot of Gambino members for that matter, as well as the rest of the families. DeCicco came from the "Bath Beach Mafia" group, whom pretty much all of the guys who came up under that umbrella, preferred the typical low-key, in the shadows, make money not headlines approach to LCN, which included Castellano, whom according to most sources DeCicco was extremely close to during the late 70s-early 80s. Castellano took DeCicco under his wing as his protege and placed him in the unions, allowing DeCicco to rise in power and funds, and his crew was one of the crews Paul really relied on, along with Nino Gaggi's Veterans Club guys, and the DeMeo crew. Somewhere along the lines that relationship changed. DeCicco would go to the Ravenite & Bergin to conduct business with Dellacroce & Fatico on behalf of Castellano, thats where he met Gotti and the two became close, he wasn't initially going to either place simply to see John Gotti.

And these are Franks own words in regards to Gotti, as said by Gravano, "John's fucking egos too big, I could be his underboss, but he couldn't be mine. Look, he's got balls, he's got brains, he's got charisma. If we can control him to stop the gambling and all his flamboyant bullshit, he could be a good boss. Sammy, I'll tell you what. We'll give him a shot. Let him be the boss. If it don't work within a year, me and you, we'll kill him. I'll become the boss and you'll be my underboss, and we'll run the family right."

This was right after Bilotti & Castellano were murdered, well into DeCicco & Gotti's "very good friendship". And he still spoke without hesitation of taking him out. Of course DeCicco wasn't even around for that long, but Gotti never quit his gambling, in fact he lost more money than he earned as boss because of his addiction, and he never quit the "flamboyant shit". Had DeCicco still been around, I have no doubt he would've hit Gotti.