Originally Posted By: donplugconnected
i kind of find it interesting that there was no audio from capone or luciano. they both loved being the top dawgs. BUT yet there is audio of meyer lansky who was more modest than either of these two men. i too was looking for audio of luciano for a while but couldn't find it. i imagine luciano had more of an italian accent than a new york accent. but i could imagine him having a new york accent seeing he moved to new york at 9 so he had to have an accent right? but then i truly have no idea.

Joe Bonanno said that Luciano spoke a mixture of Italian and English. That rings true since he was not well educated in the traditional sense and his parents were from the old country. From the quotations I've read of Luciano's, outside of Last Testament, his English was very good, or at least he seemed to say exactly what he meant, without any slang. The language we read in the Last Testament might be contrived gutter language designed to sound like a "Gangs of New York" ancient 5 Points dialect. It doesn't match up perfectly with the real quotes the news media of the time attributed to him.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."