Speaking for myself, I remain unconvinced (at least without more info) that Detroit was ever the biggest family in the drug trade. This thinking on my part doesnt come from some sensitivity about New York but the fact that the NY families we're always the biggest, had the biggest market by far, as well as international contacts and control over ports of entry.

Cabrini starts down the road of thinking Detroit being the top family in narcotics could have somehow, by extension, changed the power structure in NY but later reverses himself and says being top of the drug trade at the time doesn't automatically mean anything because drugs weren't the biggest racket. Well, which is it?

I wouldn't take it upon myself to declare any one guy the "King of Dope." That title could have probably been given to several mafiosi depending on the time frame in question.

In the earlier years I think the Genovese family would be in the running before they pulled back (not abandoned) their level of involvement in the later years. Along the way in between it was probably the Gambino, Lucchese and Bonanno families all jockeying for the position. Later I think it came down to the Gambinos and Bonannos being the most deeply involved and it seems to remain that way to this day. Probably with the Gambinos at the top if only because of the sheer size difference.

And don't let anyone kid you. The mob has ALWAYS been involved in the drug trade to one degree or another. And that includes after the early 1950s and after Apalachin. As I said before, many families may have adopted a nominal "no drugs" policy but it was often ignored. Capeci gives examples of guys dealing before and after the 1950s including Joe Armone, Vito Genovese (who Capeci says there is little evidence to support the theory he was set up), and Carmine Galante. John Ormento was another one.

I'm not sure what some people get out of claiming the mob abandoned drugs from the early 1950s until their involvement became impossible to deny in the 1980s. Even if it were true - which it isn't - what are we talking, maybe 30 years tops? But only someone who is ignorant of mob history or has an agenda will believe that.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 08/15/15 01:00 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.