Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Never went to veselka, but I've heard great things. Union square cafe had to move due to rising rents. The bodegas are closing. There is a 7-11 in alphabetical city now, which really tells you everything you need to know.

It's Alphabet City. Christ, you are a Yuppie lol.

lol

Don't take offense Mighty healthy, I'm laughing with you, not at you. I swear!

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Yes, the LES began changing in the early to mid 90s. My dad had a bar on 9th between 1st and A, which came in very handy for my underage drinking back in like '88, not that it was too hard to get into other places in those days.

I thought you were much older. That's a compliment, by the way.

Polish coffee shops where you could eat like a pig for $5.

Veselka isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But they've gotten pretty expensive, given the menu.

The kids that live there now would shit themselves if they had to cross tompkins square park circa 1988.

You got that right lol.

thank you for the compliment. Like all women I need a regular supply of shoes and compliments.

I'm smack in the middle of my 40s. But like all city kids I'm very mature for my age wink

My parents divorced when I was a kid and for years my dad lived in the city on 12th between 5th and 6th, while we were in Brooklyn so we had the best of all worlds NY-wise. It was a different city and what's happened to it is depressing.

Last edited by helenwheels; 08/13/15 04:15 PM.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?