It was Pasquale Barbaro caught in ecstasy bust, the son of Francesco aka Little Trees, named in the Woodward Commission, and yes, had links to the Calabrian suppliers, to the extent that he had to make a trip to Italy to explain why he would be late repaying debts. In fact, some sources state him to be more a "customer" of the local 'Ndrine than one himself. It was his cousin Joe Barbaro who's daughter was kidnapped, his father Pasquale aka Il Principal was a Canberra boss who flipped after an attempt on his life (he left his wife, who was a Nirta, another powerful family with strong links to the old country). He was eventually murdered in 1990. The Barbaro who died with Jason I believe was related, but not involved with his family's rackets. He seemed to have been known as a bit of a stoner.
It gets complex, doesn't it? I may be a bit off with the relations myself, but they were definitely two different Barbaros. Sooner or later I'll find the old chart that had birth dates and notes that help tell them apart.

(cough.)